Should Luke Campbell retire?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Jaakkomies, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Jaakkomies

Jaakkomies New Member Full Member

Jun 12, 2019
    He’s probably at a point where he’s only going to be used as an opponent now.

He’s definitely left his best days in the amateur’s IMO. Wouldn’t be against him continuing but feel it might be time to consider retirement.

What do you guys think? If he does not retire, should he jump to welterweight?

2. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    He never really full adapted to the Pros imo. He still has alot of that old amateur style and for alot of his career he was too nice and seemed more concerned with touching gloves at the start of every round.

Having said that he has done very well and at the age of 33 if he doesn't have a money fight he should hang them up as he still has his faculties intact.

3. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Had he have moved up weight 5 years ago he would have a better chance but looking at the guys at Super Light and Welter he would get destroyed at world level. There are domestic fights with the likes of Selby, Crolla, Burns even up at Super Light Flanagan, Davies or Catterall but if he were to loose one of these he would be done and drop down to gatekeeper level. His best bet would be to put a few low level international wins together and sell himself off to another contender or work as a stand by fighter for a main event (Brook v Crawford). Tough decisions here and it depends what he has left mentally to carry on. Hopefully he has made enough money to make that choice easy although I noticed Barry McGuigan floating around in the background waiting to pick up his cheque so would be surprised if he came out with a fortune last night after paying all fee's.

4. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Heard someone before the fight say he was 1 loss away from being "just a gatekeeper"

I fear that is very much correct.

If crowds are allowed back in the 2nd half of the year could there be a domestic fight as a send off? Does Hull have a decent arena?

5. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    I,d say no. I dont get why these guys dont stick around back at a lower level waiting for another big oppertunity. They need to adapt their game a bit tho.

In hindsight campbell should have jumped all over garcia at the knockdown last night. Thats the type of fighter he has to become now. Stop trying to fight 12 with younger/fitter/stronger guys and start trying to walk guys on to something.

Theres probably good scalps out there for campbell. But retiring nows disappointing imo. His best wins mendy. In the grand scheme of things its not great. Worked too hard to just walk away.

Dairygivesmegas and Carlton Cole like this.
  6. kojak

kojak Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    He's certainly got the ability to compete, he's technically very very good. Up to him to decide whether he wants to have one last crack at picking up a title, he's certainly talented enough to do it, maybe with a dash of luck.

I don't blame him for not jumping on Garcia. Garcia did look to have his faculties about him when he got up and wasn't wobbling about, so he'd of been wary about walking into a hard counter still.

7. Skyver

Skyver Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 29, 2015
    I don't think he should retire personally he can still compete at world level and you never know he could have a big fight left in him.no way should he consider moving up to welterweight though he's too brittle to make that jump.it will be a big ask to win a world title at any weight for him now tbh but his best bet would be to stick at 135 and give it a final bash there imo.

8. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    The latter sentence is the reason he should retire - when you are more worried about your opponent's ability than your own at 33 years of age when he is on the canvas, it is time to retire.

LoadedGlove likes this.
  9. Suspect.chin

Suspect.chin Active Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2017
    Ni he should not retire. He should work towards a rematch and ko him next time

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  10. I Shot JR

I Shot JR Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Unless Hearn can somehow get him a big world title fight at the KCOM this or next year (highly unlikely on many fronts) then his role should be as a fringe world level gatekeeper. I doubt he’ll continue past this year.

11. anjawnaymiz

anjawnaymiz Can we get Ivan Dychko some momentum Full Member

Sep 6, 2008
    I say make the Campbell vs Tennyson fight

12. Dannymita

Dannymita Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2019
    I'd say that was his last chance...at 33 ...two world title shots where he came up short...and a loss to an overhyped prospect who while talented was there for the taking for Luke last night...I think he should.

It's rare people get 3 chances at a world title and win one...groves being the recent who stands out...I just don't think it'll happen for Luke...too much talent at lightweight n light welterweight...

Some good money to be made in domestic dust ups but I think he will get the gatekeeper stepping stone treatment now...he did his best...no shame in his losses

13. smithshaun

smithshaun Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Personally think he should, one of our greatest amateurs but stayed an amateur far to long .

He was in the same amateur set up as groves and it seems like campbell hasnt really been about that long and groves has had a long pro career and now happily retired, campbell should have turned pro sooner.

He does some great things and he looked really impressive during some of the rounds last night, but he just doesn't seem to have that spite that you need at the very top, didn't even try to put it on garcia after the knockdown which seemed really strange to me.

Not all olympic champions can be great pros, in fact not many are apart from audley obviously!!

If he decides to carry on fair play but dont think he has much success now at world level!

Boxingfan2 and boxberry92 like this.
  14. Terry94

Terry94 15-05-20 Full Member

Apr 20, 2017
    I personally don't see any other option for him other than retirement. No point him staying at 135 and 140 he could beat a couple guys domestically (Maxwell, Hughes, Ritson and maybe Catteral) but won't win a world title and then Welter will be too much.

15. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    This question always irks me a
    little, if a fighter is healthy and enjoys boxing who are we to decide if someone ‘should’ retire?