Smith Fowler, refusal to shake hands?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Throwback, Oct 3, 2021.

1. Throwback

Throwback "Somebody wake up Hicks" Full Member

Jul 11, 2020
    This content is protected

Smith comes across as a bit infantile here, seems beneath him tbh. Any thoughts?

2. DramaShow

DramaShow 19 banned Full Member

Dec 22, 2020
    Fowler will start off well and then tire in the mid-rounds, Smith takes over and hurts Fowler to the body. Fowler will cling on towards the end and lose a 116-112 points-type decision.

Furey, Scissors, Oneirokritis and 3 others like this.
  3. Throwback

Jul 11, 2020
    I see it similarly, possible that it's an exciting match, but Fowler (when he elects to use it), has a decent jab, Williams used his to good effect, particularly in the first fight with Smith, I wonder if this may be the tactic used, given the Williams "blueprint"?

Still don't get the way Smith has behaved during the pressers though.

If Fowler loses, where does he go from here, given his age, and lack of top quality opponents?

4. kojak

kojak Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Still good domestic fights for him to be involved in. Lots of talent around his level, so no issue if he loses for me. Lots of easy fights to be made where there will be a couple of winners and losers.

5. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    This is a fight I want to see. Unless Fowler shows something we haven't seen yet I'll go with Smith on pts.

Oneirokritis likes this.
  6. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Exactly, too much is a made about a loss rather than performance. When good fighters clash, there has to be a loser.

7. Safin

Safin Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    I hope Fowler smashes him. "Beefy" has been insufferable in the build-up. People go on like Fowler is another Couzens, or whatever.

8. Sonny1

Sonny1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 11, 2013
    If Fowler has anything which is going to get him a title shot at one of the 4 belts, he will win a decision. If he hasn’t, he won’t.

He must be be busier than Smith, in this fight. He’s younger and fresher.

Holler likes this.
  9. Dragon Punch

Dragon Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2012
    I fancy Fowler on a close points win

10. anjawnaymiz

anjawnaymiz Can we get Ivan Dychko some momentum Full Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Can’t stand either fighter , I hope we get a double ko to be honest

11. Throwback

Jul 11, 2020
    But does he see himself as above domestic level?

I'm not one to see a fighter as finished after a couple of losses, but he's only really fought one good opponent in or around his prime, and he lost (albeit closely). I just wonder if he could get motivated to be at British level.

kojak likes this.
  12. aaaaa

aaaaa Ash banned Full Member

Dec 19, 2020
    I like the Smith brothers and I fcking hate Fowler so Fowler will probably win. Can’t wait for it now.

13. kojak

kojak Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Technically he is at that level now, since he hasn't actually beaten anyone above it and the domestic scene is quite packed at the moment.

Oneirokritis likes this.
  14. Donald Donaldson

Donald Donaldson Member Full Member

Oct 1, 2020
    I thought Liam Smith refusing the handshake was poor form and made him look quite childish. It felt like he was trying to manufacture some sort of tension and animosity which isn't there and which the fight does not need, it's a fight that sells itself.

Putting that to one side, unless Fowler can hurt Liam in the first half of the fight I expect he will get outworked and outmaneuvered. Fowler is tough and strong so I'm not convinced Liam stops him but I think he will win on work rate/volume of punches.

Fowler has his limits as a fighter, but it has to be said Matchroom have really not done him any favors with the quality of opposition he has faced. Compared with just about any of the other Olympians he turned pro together with, his opposition has been truly shocking and that has had a big negative impact on his development as a pro. Fair enough he lost to Fitzy but at his age and with his experience there's no excuse for some of the mediocre opposition he has faced. He's 30 years old turned pro 4 and half years ago and you could argue this is only his second meaningful fight.

Holler, DON1, Oneirokritis and 2 others like this.
  15. aaaaa

aaaaa Ash banned Full Member

Dec 19, 2020
    To be fair he’s stepped up once and got flattened by a lad who was probably not long off the sesh. You can’t blame them for taking their time.

Oneirokritis likes this.