So guys, how do you rate George Groves in the Pantheon of British Super Middleweights?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Tankatron, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Tankatron

Tankatron Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Like the question says, how do you rate GG in the Pantheon of British Super Middleweights. Does he belong in the discussion with the likes of Calzaghe, Froch, Benn, Eubanks Snr. Watson etc. Nice little appreciation video on IFL with some early IFL clips included.

2. rezzer

rezzer Active Member Full Member

Feb 11, 2009
  3. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    He is a level below all those you mentioned.

One thing Groves won't get credit for is helping get British boxing back to where it is. He really got the public interested again with the Froch fights.

Good career, never backed down from a challenge, maybe a tad unlucky along the way and he was led by emotions too much criminally forgetting to fully utilize his excellent jab.

mylo86, Pez, Gatekeeper and 4 others like this.
  4. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    I think he’s behind all the fella’s you mention bar Michael Watson who I thought was predominantly a middleweight (?). I think you’d have to give Robin Reid a shout and James Degale. It’s all subjective. He’s retired relatively early.

Sphillips likes this.
  5. caligula4

caligula4 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Could have and should have been so much better. I thought he was really going to be the best super-middleweight post Calzaghe, under Booth, and will forever wonder what could have been had they not parted. Good career and I'm glad he became a world champ, but he underachieved for me. I'm with the two guys above that say he's behind the names you mentioned, as well, although yet again could have (or could have should have - getting a bit ridiculous... if they met) beaten some of them. He had so much natural talent, but probably too much arrogance leading to poor decisions in fights and questionably outside fights. I was always a big fan and wish he had gone on longer. He had a tough career that ended pretty young. Wishing him luck in retirement.

6. "TKO"

"TKO" Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I don't think he was on the level of the guys listed above. Degale, Reid, Woodhall etc... are better comparisons. I'm glad he finally got his world title as he was looking like becoming another Kevin Mitchell style nearly man. But winning a vacant title against a mediocre opponent and defending it twice doesn't put you on the level of the very top guys. Had some good wins (Degale, Johnson, Chudinov, Murray, Eubank) and can look back on his career with pride. Had the sense to know when to get out as well rather than going on too long, which you can't say for all of the above.

destruction and Momus like this.
  7. ryanm8655

ryanm8655 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Was unlucky not to get the nod against Jack...

I’d say he’s slightly behind the guys mentioned but Calzaghe is way ahead of the lot...Groves is closer to them than they are to Calzaghe...less Watson who I thought was a mw.

He wasn’t far off Froch tbh...better boxer just more vulnerable.

caligula4 likes this.
  8. Momus

Momus Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    The top tier is Calzaghe, Froch, Benn and Eubank. Groves' achievements at 168 don't really compare to those guys, but he comfortably has a place in the second tier with Reid, Woodhall, Degale, and Callum Smith (presently). He deserves to be rated above Catley, Magee, Wharton, Close and a few others in that bracket. Watson had one meaningful fight at the weight so I don't think he comes into the equation, unless you're talking purely in a H2H sense where he was clearly on the same level as Benn and Eubank.

Unlike (eg) Woodhall, you could see Groves giving any of the top tier hell on his best day. He's similar to Reid in the sense that he didn't always put it together, but when he did he was a class operator. He wasn't quite as hot and cold as Reid though; it's difficult to see Groves losing to Branco or an ancient Malinga; Groves' losses all came against top level fighters.

9. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Not as good as the likes of Calzaghe, Eubank snr, Benn and, as much as it pains me to say, Froch, but a very good boxer nonetheless. I loved the Paul Smith KO, that was beautiful.

im sparticus likes this.
  10. Tankatron

Tankatron Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Yeah, fancy me putting Watson on there. Likely would have gone up to Super middle as he was huge at middleweight. Pretty much agree with everything stated. Top talent but, was capable of achieving so much more. Feel he never quite got the rub of the green , especially post Adam Booth.

Did a lot to progress the British fight game thou and was certainly a very good self promoter. The build up to both Froch fights was about as entertaining and enthralling as it gets and their 'The Gloves are off' episode is must see viewing and still the best episode ever aired. I for one will miss him as he was never in a boring fight but, I actually feel he's getting out at the right time. He has a young family now so I say good luck to him and thanks for some special nights

11. anjawnaymiz

anjawnaymiz Can we get Ivan Dychko some momentum Full Member

Sep 6, 2008
    If he had beaten froch in the 1st fight and got the nod against jack then that would’ve swayed it for me

Suspect.chin likes this.
  12. FartWristedBum

FartWristedBum I walk this Earth like a bum Full Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Unlikeable, over-rated but entertaining and hard working fighter. In the pantheon? He's fetching drinks for Froch.....

13. Dangerwood84

Dangerwood84 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I would rate him high. Calzaghe just in front of Froch (yes, just), I think Groves and Degale were more talented than Benn, Eubank, Collins and Watson. Those dudes held the WBO belt when it was in it's infancy, they are massively over rated. Benn at least held a WBC title but other than McClellen and an ageing Barkley, I don't think the opposition was so great. I would go Calzaghe, Froch, Groves, Degale, Benn, Eubank, Collins,Watson.

14. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    He had the talent to match Calzaghe, Benn, Eubank, Froch, Watson etc however he never had the durability as the above mentioned. Huge difference and major factor at the elite level.

Gatekeeper and tdf1974 like this.
  15. DON1

DON1 ICEMAN Full Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Decent. A bit short of the real great British super middles but I tell ya he has had a brilliant career.

tdf1974 likes this.