So guys, how do you rate George Groves in the Pantheon of British Super Middleweights?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Tankatron, Jan 28, 2019.

1. tdf1974

tdf1974 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 9, 2013
    But he got pummeled against both of them so its like sayin if your aunty had nuts she would be your uncle ..

2. tdf1974

Sep 9, 2013
    Michael Watson would have put an absolute clinic on Groves and Degale

Wizbit1013 and Gatekeeper like this.
  3. anjawnaymiz

anjawnaymiz Can we get Ivan Dychko some momentum Full Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Did you watch the first fight between froch and groves??? I suggest you go back and watch it

4. Double J

Double J Member Full Member

Jul 31, 2017
    I'll best remember him for giving Froch an absolute clinic in the first 6 rounds of the first fight. Despite only losing one round, and dropping Froch, judges only had him up 1 round. He was never going to win that first fight, hence Howard Foster rushing in.

Him making Froch cry is excellent viewing. Well worth a watch on YouTube if you haven't seen it.

Him actually winning the World Title was a relief.

Accurate and Twentyman like this.
  5. "TKO"

"TKO" Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I really really can't see either of those guys being on the level of Benn, either way you cut it. Other than the early split over Degale, who is Groves' best win? An aging Martin Murray? Eubank? Chudinov? Two title defences, wins over two world champs (including an aging Glen Johnson) and maybe three world level contenders. It's hardly a list of stella names. Degale himself has two good ones over Dirrell and Bute on away turf and made three title defences. Benn's win over McClellan alone far exceeds any of those IMO. He also took the title from Galvano on away turf then beat him in a rematch, another world champ in Nardiello and 3 or 4 decent contenders - Piper, Henry Wharton, Giminez. Nine successful defences.

I am assuming here that we are only including their accomplishments at 168, though you have mentioned Barkley that fight was at middleweight. If I included Benn's middleweight accomplishments, I really don't think it would be close. For the same reason, I would rank Watson last as his only fight at 168 was the second loss to Eubank.

I would also rank Eubank ahead of either based on their accomplishments at 168. Whatever you think of the titles they held, and though he was often content to do just enough, Eubank's list of wins at 168 is impressive. Watson, Sugarboy Malinga,Tony Thornton, Lindell Holmes, GGiminez, Rocchigiani, Ray Close (albeit controversially). Collins is an odd one, he caught both Eubank and Benn at the right time IMO, could see an argument either way for him.

Momus and Gatekeeper like this.
  6. tdf1974

Sep 9, 2013
    I did watch it and was cheering Groves on but reality is that Groves threw the punch of his life and flattened Froch....Then Froch took a few rounds to get his legs back,meanwhile Groves emptied his not very big gas tank trying to get rid of him.Then Froch smashed his face in

End of ....

Gatekeeper likes this.
  7. anjawnaymiz

anjawnaymiz Can we get Ivan Dychko some momentum Full Member

Sep 6, 2008
    I wouldn’t call someone who almost got their opponent out of there ‘absolutely pummelled ‘ tbh

8. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Talented fighter but poor stamina, suspect chin and light resume puts him below Calzaghe, Froch, Benn, Eubank. He's a level below them and I wouldn't pick him with certainty against some of the other notable UK SMW's, I reckon a prime Robin Reid would beat him, Michael Watson too.

9. underwraps

underwraps Active Member Full Member

Oct 31, 2017
    A level below the obvious top 4. But a very good fighter. I will always remember when he dropped Froch in the 1st fight. He's earn't a few quid and I wish him well enjoying it.

10. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    He was okay, he seemed to have a good long stiff jab and won a version of the title

11. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Sums up Groves well - decent fighter who overachieved in my opinion and made a fortune

12. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    The most pleasurable part of his career for me was the way he dealt with the hype of Junior. He exposed his fundamental flaws. The way he fought him with one arm, outlanded him and even landed the bigger shot in that round showed his character.

velagod and kojak like this.
  13. kojak

kojak Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    People also forget he was quite a big underdog against DeGale in there fight, not many people gave him a chance and he was a small underdog going into the Eubank Jnr fight (shouldn't of been but that's a different matter).

I think his losses to Froch come down to his immaturity at the time mainly. He wanted to be the first person to stop him and the second fight he said he would KO him with a left hook. Tried to throw a left hook at a silly moment and that's when Froch banjoed him.

14. oiky

oiky Gypsy Boy Full Member

Jan 17, 2014
    He's not on the level of the guys mentioned but he's still had a great career and he made many in Britian take notice of boxing with his froch fights, even Brenda & sue from the chippy was on about the fights