Sonny Liston versus Dick the Bruiser

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by DocDevil, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    I heard the story about Sonny and the Bruiser and according to the story it went very badly for the Bruiser as he was smacked around and was whimpering at Sonny's feet, it allegedly happened at the Thunderbird motel in Vegas. Supposedly a reporter heard about it and asked the Bruiser and he wouldn't say anything and refused to speak about it ever. I don't know if it happened but ,,Sonny would have killed him if it did.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  2. Mike Cannon

Mike Cannon Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2020
    There must be 2 Dick the Bruisers, sure I saw one of them in a er, er, educational film about how grown ups show their feelings, unhindered by outer garments, anybody else....
    stay safe guys.

3. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Steve Williams was knocked out cold by either Bart or Billy Gunn in legit boxing matches that turned into a disaster for the WWE. Liston never actually fought Bruiser. He just taught him a little lesson so to speak. Brody never suckered Dick. It was a legit go as Dick tried to stiff him on money as he tried to do with everyone who worked for him. Needless to say Brody got his money regardless.

4. Moggy94

Moggy94 Active Member Full Member

Mar 25, 2021
    Steve Williams got knocked out in a hybrid shoot match where if you took them down you had to get straight back up, he took Gunn down in the first five seconds and if they didn't have to get up right away would Gunn have got him off? Also Williams was actually winning the exchanges on the feet until Gunn took him down which injured Williams' hamstring. It was a far cry from the 80's version of Williams who was fresh out of college where he was competing in both football and wrestling and had short stint in the USFL. Bart Gunn was no slouch though and did have a bit of amateur wrestling too as well as just being a naturally tough guy.

Of course if he stood with them he'd be destroyed but a 300 pound version of Williams back in the 80's who beat several future Olympians in the NCAA's against the best Heavyweights of the 80's? They better know how to stuff a takedown or Williams is taking them down right away and probably going for their eyes.

As for the Brody/Dick The Bruiser fight, this is my source about the sucker punch:

This content is protected

5. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    I'm talking about an actual boxing match between Gunn and Williams which Gunn knocked him spark out. My account of Brody Bruiser came from one of 2 Brody biographies.

6. Moggy94

Mar 25, 2021
    Yes but the Williams and Gunn fight was a hybrid match with takedowns involved "Brawl For All" Is what I'm saying, Williams took Gunn down in the first five seconds but you have to let them up right after the takedown so the rules favoured the stand up fighter if they knew how to stuff takedowns which Gunn did after that and got some takedowns of his own as Gunn had an amateur wrestling background too.

Gunn did get knocked out by Butterbean brutally, years later Gunn tried to get a fight with him in MMA which I wouldn't have counted him out of, Gunn didn't do too bad in his two MMA fights and beat a former UFC Heavyweight contender and lost to Minowa by decision in Pride who subbed Butterbean.

robert ungurean likes this.
  7. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014

Good call. And you can add Billy Robinson who legit injured Sheik in Verne Gagne's camp. Robinson was a submission wrestler, or, as they used to call it back then, a hooker.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2022
    Moggy94, robert ungurean and Saintpat like this.
  8. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Lol!

I saw one of the Brody-Brunzell matches live at the Cow Palace in SF! Brody ended up getting the better, I think with a chair or something, and Tony Atlas stormed the ring to save him.

On the same card were the Road Warriors first ever California appearance, against Kurt Henning (when he was a high-class jobber) and Steve Olsonowksi.

Other matches were Atlas against Steve Regal (the LHW champ, not "Lord"), Zbyszko against Billy Robinson, and Nick Bockwinkel and Mr. Saito against Stan Lane and Steve Keirn, the Fabulous ones.

Rope-a-Dope likes this.
  9. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    The subject is Dick The Bruiser, a pro wrestler against the boxing heavyweight champion of the world It does not include UFC fighters,MMA ones, or Judokas, or any other forms of martial combat.
    Why would I be scared?
    Name a pro wrestler who has beaten a top class heavyweight in a genuine fight?

And please ,no Wepner v Andre crap!
    IMO Liston would beat the **** out of nearly every body in a street fight.

Reinhardt likes this.
  10. Moggy94

Mar 25, 2021
    Like I said I'm not saying Dick The Bruiser would beat Liston, I'm just saying the "Pumped up entertainers" Claim that you made is not entirely true.

In the 50's and 60's alone I would bet Danny Hodge and Mad Dog Vachon could have whooped Liston in a street fight. Hodge boxed professionally himself and was one of the best American amateur wrestlers of his time, the man had double tendon strength. I highly doubt Liston ever came across a guy that could take him down with ease and do whatever he pleases.

Mad Dog Vachon was another one around the same time as Liston that wrestled in the Olympics and was a notorious street fighter in Canada as a bouncer.

This content is protected

Keleneki likes this.
  11. Keleneki

Keleneki Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 6, 2008
    I love listening to Tony Atlas interviews. My high school football coach was also a very formidable wrestler. He was Sammy "Steamboat" Mokuahi and he was trained in catch wrestling by Lou Thesz. He wasn't like Mad Dog Vachon though, he was really mellow but he was one big, bad man.

12. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Street fights are usually won by a couple of good shots being landed,how many have you seen that were decided by a take down?

13. MASLEHMH

MASLEHMH New Member Full Member

Oct 5, 2021
    Sonny Liston would be very dangerous in a street fight, he had great boxing skills, experience in street fights and also in his best years he practiced Judo.

Cleveland Williams would be another great street fighter with his combination of strength and speed.

14. PRW94

PRW94 Active Member Full Member

Nov 26, 2020
    That's way too broad a brush although more true today when it's pretty much all entertainment. Bruiser may have been a cartoon variety, but there were/are some very legitimate badasses in professional wrestling.

Two that haven't been mentioned are Gorilla Monsoon, before he got so fat (in his amateur wrestling and track career he was 300 pounds without an ounce of fat on him), and Baron von Raschke.

Of course if you're talking strictly about punching the only wrestler who could probably hang was Hodge. The key for the wrestler is getting the boxer off his feet. And in a true anything goes, no holds barred, no quarter street fight, that happens.

Moggy94 likes this.
  15. Moggy94

Mar 25, 2021
    You can literally find thousands of videos on the Internet where fights are won via a takedown then ground and pound or even a knockout after a slam.