Sunny Edwards to challenge for IBF title

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Journey Man, Mar 18, 2021.

1. rezzer

rezzer Active Member Full Member

Feb 11, 2009
    According to Boxrec, there’s 170 boxers in the Light Heavy division worse than him.

im sparticus and Trafford like this.
  2. Trafford

Trafford Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    To be fair I get it as he drives numbers for Frank and I’m fairness not many of his stable do that. I also don’t mind him having learning fights.

But at 5-0 he can atleast fight someone that punches back. His last 4 fights have a combined record 2-72 which is incredible. There are other 3-1 and 4–1 guys that he should be beating at this stage who atleast Will have a bit of a go.

again don’t mind the learning fights providing we don’t start hearing the usual 15-0 and undefeated Tommy Fury with a WBO ranking having fought people Prince Patel would have beaten them I am ok with it. But I would expect him by 10-0 to atleast be fighting the level of Sterling, Conroy or Sugden

im sparticus, zulander and Holler like this.
  3. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Fully agree.

I have absolutely no problem with someone learning the trade in the way he is - he is young and has limited amateur pedigree. However let's not wheel him out every single time in a prime time slot because whilst he is someone who can drive numbers which any promoter would love.... if we're constantly seeing him in that slot against "0-14" types of opponents it could end up driving fans the opposite way.

im sparticus likes this.
  4. Journey Man

Journey Man Journeyman always. Full Member

Aug 22, 2009
    I had this discussion on another thread, but Tommy is used to the pro game now, he knows about making weight, boxing in front of an audience, media and interviews etc. What he isn’t getting is anyone who’s going to teach him anything. He knows he can punch hard and beat up people who don’t fight back.

Lewis Van Poetsch (I can’t actually believe he’s up at LHW now) has only been stopped 10 times in 124 losses, and often gives good pros a move around. He’d be decent. Then maybe someone else with a winning record, Jordan Joseph who is 8-4-1 been in with Buatsi (stopped in two) might be an idea.

Dunno, he simply isn’t learning at the moment though. Hasn’t been pushed back. Hasn’t fought anyone who moves their head and is tricky to tag. Hasn’t boxed someone bigger than him. Needs something to test him.

Look at Tyson’s first ten fights (I know Tyson had a bit more of a backing early and had more amateur experience), he fought journeymen who tried to win such as Lee Swaby, and mixed it with ambitious boxers such as Mathew Ellis and Rich Power.

5. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Don't be harsh on poor Tommy,
    His opponents weren't shot,
    Just look at his latest,
    A deadly plant pot,
    This kid is still learning,
    Look what he achieves,
    When he feints with his left,
    And dodges those leaves,

In camp he's a legend,
    No stranger to toil,
    It shows when his straight jab,
    Dislodges some soil,
    So before you get angry,
    And start on a rant,
    Just remember that Tommy,
    Made short work of that plant,

kojak likes this.
  6. zulander

zulander Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2006
    I totally agree with this in particular:
    Dunno, he simply isn’t learning at the moment though. Hasn’t been pushed back. Hasn’t fought anyone who moves their head and is tricky to tag. Hasn’t boxed someone bigger than him. Needs something to test him.

Remind you of Anthony Yarde much?? had it all his own way and bar 3 minutes VS Kovalev hasn't done it at a decent level.
    Fury has a bit more time on side but he's had 5 pro fights now. It's time to crank the difficulty ever so slightly, find someone with a more balanced record it doesn't need to be huge but facing another guy who has never won a fight etc serves no purpose. He won't learn anything.

As for Edwards - timing is everything. Frank could have played a blinder here. Problem is hardly anyone knows who he is.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  7. Journey Man

Journey Man Journeyman always. Full Member

Aug 22, 2009
    I didn’t even think of the Yarde comparisons but yes they are certainly apt. I like Lyndon Arthur but you’d have to think that if Yarde had progressively stepped things up he would have been able to deal with him, but he didn’t have the schooling. Lyndon Arthur on the other hand has progressively stepped up recently and his last 3 fights have shown him slightly edge up in opposition each doing better for him than the previous.

zulander likes this.