The curious case of Steve Collins

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Saintpat, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Even in the second fight, with Eubank clearly drained to the bone from making 168 and not himself, Collins after six or seven rounds had his tongue hanging out with blood pouring from his face, falling in face-first, there for Chris to uppercut him and take him, it seemed.

2. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Collins I think would've beaten Calzaghe, took him out. He actually had a very sneaky counter overarm right when he decided to use it, and could punch more correctly in his mid-to-late career in the UK (when he decided to), and Joe was wide open for rights.

3. Xplosive

Xplosive Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 23, 2008
    LOL @ Collins taking out Calzaghe.

Collins is overrated

Giacomino likes this.
  4. power play

power play Member Full Member

Nov 11, 2006
    I would of like to see Collins fight Jones at the time just to see how good he was

5. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    He caught both eubank and Benn really at the tail end of there careers but I agree with the post that said Chris held back a bit in there fights. Perhaps eubank was afraid if the fight intensified to much some one could be injured as in Watson.? I don't feel eubank was ever the same after that fateful night. But it would have been great to see Collins fight those two at least five years earlier. How would Benn have coped throwing those bomb s at Collins and Steve shrugging them off!?

6. Giacomino

Giacomino Member Full Member

Oct 15, 2016

7. Giacomino

Giacomino Member Full Member

Oct 15, 2016
    I think Eubank never mentally recovered from what happened to Watson in their second fight and, particularly after Collins guff about being hypnotized not to feel pain and thus having had his 'safety valve' decommissioned, Eubank was haunted by the idea of damaging Collins in the fight.

Foul play? Not really. No rule against Collins playing mind games and thus he deserved to win. Was Collins in Eubanks (or Benn's) league? Nope. Steve Collins was not in the same class as either of them, or Watson's for that matter, since Michael Watson was probably the best of that trio.