The Eubanks will seriously damage British boxing if this PPV sells

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by jmashyaka, Jan 12, 2017.

1. jmashyaka

jmashyaka Boxing Addict Full Member

May 7, 2016
    Although it's a decent undercard I seriously hope these guys are not successful with this PPV. I honestly think these two are conman who will put on shitty PPVs with Eubank fighting poor opposition defending a paper built until the guy retires.

I'm all for fighters going against promoters and tryna make a lot of money. I can't stand some of Eddies match ups sometimes but these two are essentially just tryna rip off the public without the middle man. So I'll be streaming this crap.

Are you buying it? How much does this sell?

2. emallini

emallini Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 16, 2008
    No different to Eddie or Warren when he did Sky PPV.

3. jmashyaka

May 7, 2016
    It is abit different actually, at least they did it on Sky. If this fails ITV will move away from PPV and possibly boxing again, we get these types of match ups for free on spike and channel 5

4. granth

granth Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 12, 2010
    I disagree that they'll move away. This can't just be a one-shot deal. I think they'll give it at least 2 or 3 PPVs. Plus, it gives them an idea of what their baseline casual audience is, which in turn gives them an idea of what they can expect if and when they put a better card together.

FartWristedBum likes this.
  5. billo_billy

billo_billy Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 24, 2015
    may stream, may go out and not bother watching it, havent decided yet.

6. jmashyaka

May 7, 2016
    I'm not saying them going to itv is bad, I'm saying why not put this level on free TV a couple times then he when does have a good opponent and a good following which i think he can create with name and entertaining style then charge people. If casuals pay for this and see that the guy his fighting has really no business being in the ring with Eubank that will seriously turn them away.

Injin Chi likes this.
  7. Injin Chi

Injin Chi Member Full Member

Oct 26, 2013
    Can't see it doing more than 50-100K.

I'm really surprised CES has hoodwinked the professional broadcasters at ITV.

As others have pointed out it would have been better to build a casual audience with (preferably good) free shows - in the way that Frampton was doing before considering PPV.

I'd also suggest they should have gone very low with the PPV cost - circa £5 - and then build on that too, if successful.

FartWristedBum and joegray like this.
  8. jmashyaka

May 7, 2016
    Your spot on mate if its not free like Haye on Dave then a fiver makes sense. These guys are out to make a quick buck, they don't understand the importance of building a loyal fan base before selling your product.

9. joegray

joegray Active Member Full Member

Jul 18, 2013
    I really like the card and don't think its too much to pay. I'm exciting for the 2 co-main fights and hopefully a descent opponent for K.Galahad.
    £5 would have been better but if it is successfully then I suppose they need to keep a standard pricing strategy

10. Dragon Punch

Dragon Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2012
    As with any PPV If you don't like don't buy - I don't like the main event so I won't buy.

This is not going to damage boxing even if Eubank wins from the first punch.

ITV are not stupid- the event obviously met their criteria and so there running with it. It's the first PPV they've done and if it turns out to be the last then who cares-I don't

11. jmashyaka

May 7, 2016
    Fair enough I get your point but don't you want boxing to be a bigger sport again coz if there was regular free to air fights on a major platform like ITV with names like the Eubanks and Price etc that would draw alot of casuals into the sport which will then set up for PPV if the fights warrant it.

12. Sugar 88

Sugar 88 The Empire Struck Back Full Member

Feb 4, 2012
    That's what I can't stand about 'English' - he doesn't have the slightest problem with ripping off the fans, what his problem is is that someone else might be doing it instead of him.

destruction likes this.
  13. Dragon Punch

Dragon Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2012
    It's a different time now - the old days of ITV fight live with Eubank and Benn drawing millions on free to air are
    Gone. ITV are not interested in growing the sport- they are a commercial enterprise looking to move into this century when it comes to boxing.

Even coronation street doesn't draw anywhere near the audience it did 10/15 years ago. I'm not saying you, but the idea that some are trying to paint that the Eubanks somehow strolled into ITV HQ and managed to brainwash top tv execs to put this PPV is utter rubbish. ITV want piece of the PPV pie - they've seen what's going on with Joshua and ridiculous miss matches like Haye - Bellew about to generate millions and they want in.

As for me, I personally couldn't Give a monkeys whether ITV show boxing or not.

14. jmashyaka

May 7, 2016
    Your completely spot on mate. He just wants to cut the middle man(promoters) out of the process of ripping off the fans.

15. jmashyaka

May 7, 2016
    Fair enough, if that's the case I would rather this show fails I can't stand **** ppvs and if this passes for a PPV quality believe me it will only get worse not better with these guys.