The George Groves appreciation thread.

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Scissors, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Suspect.chin

Suspect.chin Active Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2017
    Froch has no class. Unlike groves who i thought was very gracious in defeat to smith.
    Nice to see ward chipping in and smith said something nice too.

moog, Sugar 88 and rski like this.
  2. carlingeight

carlingeight Active Member Full Member

May 15, 2016
    Groves will be missed. Rapier-like jab, good power in that right hand, a style that's pleasing to watch. And plus, a guy who was always willing to take a challenge.

I thought he was a brat in the build-up to the first Froch fight, but in hindsight he should probably go into boxing psychology. How he is still firmly planted in Froch's head years later (and after he was conclusively KO'd) has got to be seen as some kind of achievement.

Furey, kojak and Suspect.chin like this.
  3. carlingeight

carlingeight Active Member Full Member

May 15, 2016
    I think it's the last paragraph people are taking exception to mate...

"But I won't miss him and I am not sure that British boxing will miss him, these days at least. There was nothing left out there for him."

The article reads well until this point. But then Froch just can't help himself... and ends up coming across bitter and deluded.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Twentyman and Suspect.chin like this.
  4. Suspect.chin

Suspect.chin Active Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2017
    This content is protected

rski likes this.
  5. rski

rski Well-Known Member Full Member

May 12, 2013
    the Froch giveth, and the Froch taketh away...

"Groves certainly played his part in all that. A big part. He will be remembered for all those mind games and smart words he came out with, but I have to be honest, I never found him funny or clever."

the man is incapable of delivering a full compliment.

ashishwarrior likes this.
  6. BigStiffIdiot

BigStiffIdiot Safer than Adam Smith's laptop password. Full Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Froch is literally the epitome of a horrible c**t. St George Groves truly classy man and an underwhelming career give his natural ability but an incredibly fun one at that. Will always remain one of my favourite fighters.

Suspect.chin likes this.
  7. Journey Man

Journey Man Journeyman always. Full Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Arguably could have achieved more, but should be more than happy with what he did. Unlucky to be stopped in the first fight vs Froch, and a lapse of concentration in the second. Could have had the nod against Badou Jack. Likely carrying an injury in the Smith fight.

Some very good wins against Degale, Murray, Chudinov, Smith, Rebrasse, Brophy, Cox, Anderson and a career highlight vs Eubank Jr. Entertained us for years and leaves the sport a wealthy man and able to enjoy his best years with his family.

Jurgen, rski, Suspect.chin and 3 others like this.
  8. kojak

kojak Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Pretty much as above for me on Groves.

Also he always fought a very good standard of fighters for the belts he won, never took an easy path for a belt. That alone should be lauded in this day and age.

Him and Froch reminds me of the first Rocky film.

Froch may have got the win but Groves won people's hearts. I think that's the biggest thing that will always annoy Froch for his lifetime.

Whilst Groves will probably have a bit of regret and not being able to win, I don't think it will be as bad as it is for Froch not to be liked.

I can imagine in 15 years down the line they bump into each other at some event and it going like this.

'Remember when I knocked you out at Wembley in front of 80k people George?'

'Yea, but no one likes you still'

Calmly walks away with Froch seething.

rski and Suspect.chin like this.
  9. Aydamn

Aydamn Dillian Da Dissappointment Full Member

Jul 31, 2018
    One of my favorite fighters, sorry to see him retire but also happy that he got out safely to his wife and kids.

Talented, quirky, gave it his all. Thank you Groves for the entertainment and getting under Froch's skin.

rski, Twentyman and Suspect.chin like this.
  10. oiky

oiky Gypsy Boy Full Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Groves has had a great career, his fights with froch really brought British boxing back with a bang

Came back and asserted himself after a devastating KO loss, he has nothing to be ashamed of, and he's a likeable chap

All the best George

pow, rski, Twentyman and 1 other person like this.
  11. Emerald Oracle

Emerald Oracle Active Member Full Member

Nov 29, 2014
    Proper warrior Groves, massive heart. Thought he deserved the decision against Badou Jack and thought he was done in the first Froch fight with soft stoppage.

rski and Twentyman like this.
  12. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    I think it's another case of Frochs dry sense of humour but i agree it was classless.

13. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Groves as a man grow on me. I think after the tragic events with Eduard Gutknecht that Groves matured and dropped the attitude. As a fighter he was very good, very brave and had a lovely jab. I wish him a happy and healthy retirement.

rski and Twentyman like this.