The New and Improved Boxing on TV thread!

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Wolf, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    I struggle to understand how millions and millions of pounds of PPV Loot has been paid to Whyte and Chisora with Joshua racking up an absolute fortune. These PPV Mugths need professional help.

None of the above are elite fighters - simply Heavyweight fighters promoted by an elite salesman.

All wrong.

Same circus, same clowns , new circus name

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  2. sniffmybadger

sniffmybadger Relationships are not my forte Full Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Imagine if Fury signed up to fight with Sky.

Jurgen likes this.
  3. Puroresu_Fan

Puroresu_Fan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 6, 2016
    One thing interesting I found on hearns latest ifl interview he mentions that Fury v Whyte would be easier to make now as there is no BT/Sky issue on who screens the fight.

I don't see why he said that as BT would want it and wouldn't DAZN also want it? Hearn said wherever the fight makes sense it could be broadcast.

The only thing I can think is Hearn made a slip up and all but confirmed no issue as DAZN are buying BT Sport.

Gregor1987, Trafford and Jurgen like this.
  4. djfonti

djfonti Active Member Full Member

Jun 25, 2005
    I always thought their plan was to be the 'Netflix of sports'. Become a global sports network pulling in revenue from everywhere as opposed to just local regions. It would mean spending a boatload of cash in the early stages for long term gain. Music/film/tv is a lot cheaper and accessible these days and live sports is the last frontier. I think they wanted to get in on that from the ground floor.
    COVID has probably ****ed them. Even if they're just putting the feelers out and don't have any strong intentions of pursuing this it's still pretty ballsy given their whole selling point was anti-PPV.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    Jurgen likes this.
  5. Puroresu_Fan

Apr 6, 2016
    Again why must they be elite? Joe calzaghe was elite but a ppv box office star? Never in a million years. Ricky Hatton wasn't as good as calzaghe but he was a box office monster.

Was that wrong or is it just the reality that certain fighters are more liked by the public than others and being 'elite' or not isn't the #1 factor.

Josh Taylor is elite but sky are not suddenly going to stick him on ppv as his not at that level of popularity yet and may never will be.

You can't sell a fighter to the public as a PPV attraction simply by calling them elite.

Boxing is no different to say the music industry. Do the most talented singers or rappers sell the most records? Very rarely as being the best alone isn't what makes someone a star in music.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    Cookiedough and Jurgen like this.
  6. unfriendlyorchid

unfriendlyorchid Probably moaning about Sky Sports Full Member

Jul 20, 2021
    I don't see it this way.

DAZN haven't stopped any big fights from happening away from their platform if it's the only way they get done, example Canelo v Plant isn't on DAZN.

What Hearn is imho saying here is that if Fury's contract dictates he has to box on BT Sport, then Fury v Whyte will be on BT Sport, no problems.

7. Astro

Astro Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2021
    How many fights have Tyson Fury left in his contract with BT Sports ? Is he free to sign a new deal ?

8. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    If Josh Taylor was managed by top salesman, Eh Day Earn from day 1 - he would be a huge PPV star already.

9. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    Would not pay 38p for any of his fights

10. p a bisson

p a bisson New Member Full Member

Nov 21, 2020
    i trusted dazn would be an honest company and would give value to its punters...soon as hearns became involve i knew that wasnt going to happen...canello going on ppv at bt was the final straw for me..just going to watch whats available on sky and bt..i will pick what ppvs i watch and listen to some on the radio..im not paying for chisora aj or whyte anymore ...if everyone left dazn ..cancelled today they would have to reconsider what they are doing...i just cant afford boxing anymore...

CutThroatFade and Jurgen like this.
  11. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    That is the only feedback to make them have a rethink - I am out and permanently should the 1st Box Office event be confirmed.

Should there be no Box Office and there is at least 2 cracking cards on DAZN per month at the current price, then I may reconsider.

However, the likely situation this time next year is all the best fights on Box Office with all the substandard shyte on a £11.99 subscription.

p a bisson likes this.
  12. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
    This content is protected

dryzer and Jurgen like this.
  13. Puroresu_Fan

Apr 6, 2016
    Yeah this is true but isn't that because Canelo wasn't signed to DAZN. Whyte is freelance so again him fighting on BT Sport isn't contractually a problem but he was also freelance before so why would there have been an issue if matchroom were still on Sky?

14. Puroresu_Fan

Apr 6, 2016
    Yeah he defiently would be bigger if he was better promoted. Not sure a huge ppv star but defiently with the right opponent would be on ppv.

15. sniffmybadger

sniffmybadger Relationships are not my forte Full Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Not sure, how it works with BT, but I thought he had a 5 fight deal with ESPN and Top Rank. Which would mean he has one fight left for that contract? He was on BT before that deal, so I'm guessing he has more than a 5 fight deal with them, or maybe it finishes at the same time with BT, Top Rank and ESPN.