The state of British boxing

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Southpawology, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Southpawology

Southpawology Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 16, 2013
    With the controversy inside of the ring for many years now, in regard to horrendous score cards and extremely bad refereeing and now ongoing controversy outside of the ring, it’s got me thinking about the current state of British boxing

Once a nation known for its integrity, honestly and sportsmanship, it seems with the monopoly Matchroom now has over the sport, all these values, values the British public hold so dear have gone out the window

Having followed the sport for around 20 years now, In my opinion the sport in the UK is currently at an all time low.

What are others opinions on the state of British boxing?

A side question for me also is, has a Matchroom fighter ever lost a close match on a Matchroom show (in a world title fight) or has a Matchroom fighter ever served a ban for a for a doping offence?

Peace

Robney likes this.
  2. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    For me as an outsider British boxing is a total farce right now.
    The current doping situation also makes me fear for the UK Olympic team for 2020, who I now believe are free to dope up to the Olympics too.

3. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
  4. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    We were known for foreign fighters coming here and getting a fair deal, sometimes almost to the detriment of our fighters.
    That’s gone now.

5. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    The judging scoring is no worse than other countries such America and Germany.

Unfortunately the more marketable stars for any Promotion such as Top Rank, PBC, Matchroom and Queensbberry always get more favaoruable scoring.

A few examples off the top my head

Korobov Charlo
    Martin vs Kownacki
    Yildirim vs Dirrell
    Porter vs Spence
    Jennings vs Joyce (right result but the cards were awful).
    Wallin vs Fury (right result but the cards were awful).
    Ryder vs Smith
    The scoring in cards in Wilder fights vs Spzilka, Washington, Ortiz 1 and Fury.
    Canelo vs GGG in both fights and Lara.

Scissors likes this.
  6. FP 2.0

FP 2.0 Member Full Member

Aug 12, 2019
    If you genuinely think British boxing is at an all time low then you are stupid

BigStiffIdiot and Aydamn like this.
  7. ArseBandit

ArseBandit Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Why?

Ryder v Smith was one of the worst robberies I've seen. Hearn robs his own fighters to protect a payday it's got so bad.

rezzer likes this.
  8. Gomo

Gomo Active Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2018
    British boxing is as good as its ever been.

Who cares what non brits think, go support your own like we do.

BigStiffIdiot, Aydamn and TBooze like this.
  9. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    When was this golden era? I have followed the sport for nearly 40 years and do not ever remember a time when your statement was true.

Indeed, one of my first boxing memories was my Dad coming home, bemoaning that although a big fan of Magri, Charlie was thrashed by the Argentine, but Charlie got the nod...

That turned out to be no disgrace as the fighter in question was Santos Laciar, but it showed like all Countries we looked after our own.

Thanks to the Olympic legacy the sport is now as strong as it has been this side of World War II, we have world class operators all over the place and can sell out Stadia and Arenas pretty much at a whim.

We have never had it so good!

10. FP 2.0

FP 2.0 Member Full Member

Aug 12, 2019
    I disagree it wasn’t a robbery. But hypothetically even if it was, why does that mean the quality of British boxing is bad

11. Tankatron

Tankatron Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 1, 2014
    I think the posters right to be honest. The good ole US of Arse for example is a shining example to the rest of the world when it comes to fighters and athletes in general being cleaner than a Nuns crutch and the judging of boxing matches (Adelaide Byrd) being beyond reproach................

Aydamn and UKboxingfan like this.
  12. Southpawology

Dec 16, 2013
    I think i should clarify,

I was not stating the quality of fighters we have currently but way in which the sport is being ran and governed in the U.K in reference to the issues i have quoted in my OP

the blatant cheating inside and outside of the ring, the fact we are now known for always favouring home fighters even when its obvious they lost or got stupid scorecards in close fights

the obvious manner in which refs/judges like Terry Oconnor only ever favour Matchroom fighters

IIRC 4/5 years ago we had 13 world champions and at that point it was more than any other country, so this post was in no reference to the quality of the fighters. not sure where that confusion came from

Surely no one can argue the primary boxing promotion company in the U.K is showing the sport in a good light

13. Southpawology

Dec 16, 2013
    Is stating, well its like that in other countries so its ok for us to do it, is that a defence?

14. Southpawology

Dec 16, 2013
    Did ppl actually read the post or just read the title?

15. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    I have to disagree. Boxing has always had its unsavoury underbelly and there's never been a halcyon time where decisions were unsullied by that side of it. I just think these days, with the internet, more 'objective' / unbought eyes on fights etc that there's more awareness.

British boxing has its faults, as does every other nations boxing, but this is a comparatively strong era, some decent boxers, lots of interest from fans, plenty of shows available and at least two relatively strong promoter/channel teams capable of putting on big fights domestically.

hpsauce91 likes this.