The state of British boxing

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Southpawology, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Southpawology

Southpawology Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 16, 2013
    So we are happy to win at any method possible?

I struggle to find any other British sport with less integrity.

Id argue that it was always possible for foreign fighters to get the nod in the U.K if they deserved it but that would never happen now

2. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Not sure how you've read that from my post?

I'm not saying I'm happy with rigged cards or suspect officiating, just that I think this has always been a, despicable, part of the 'sport'.

In the past, any British fight fan would know, with monotonous regularity, that a British fighter trying to take a title from overseas, usually America, would be subject to the whole gamut of dodgy cards, suspect refereeing, pre fight bullying tactics, strange interpretations of rules around wrapping etc etc. All conveniently wrapped up and dismissed by opposing fans as just lovable ol home cooking...

So as dodgy loss followed loss, all uk fans could hold to was the idea that if their guys held the belts and the rewards that went with them, our guys held the moral high ground.

The key difference may be that as British boxing has grown in power and influence that sometimes now the boot is on the other foot and as the 'money' fighter, some of those decks are stacked the other way.

Neither situation is acceptable, but the idea that one side was morally above these kind of actions was naive. This is both sport and business, but massively more the latter than the former. The fight game is dirty and it party much always was.

3. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    While things at the top of sport have seldom been better with the profile of the sport as high as I can remember and more top level fighters than ever, there are problems at the grass roots of professional Boxing. The worst of these is promoters who no longer actually promote fighters. They have to sell their own tickets and if they don't sell enough they get pulled off shows or wind up having to take reduced purses which were pitiably poor in the first place.
    More than one promising lad here in the West Midlands has ended up packing the game in because of the stress this creates. It's either that or go on the road. There really is a case of haves and have nots and if we lose the small hall shows we will be left with nothing but the big London promoters taking everyone for a ride.

Unforgiven likes this.