the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    What a great memory, and what a fight for him to pick! One that's on just about everyone's list of all-time favorites. I was on my own with that journey. Kinda jealous.

As it is, I've only been to one fight card live in my entire life; in the main event, Bernard Hopkins knocked out Steve Frank in something like 24 seconds, setting a speed record of sorts. At least it was noteworthy for that.

Saintpat likes this.
  2. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Live boxing is the best boxing. I hope life offers you the opportunity to get to some live fights in the future.

3. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Fabrice Benichou v Maurizio Stecca (for Benichou's Euro featherweight title)

Round 1: 10-8 Benichou (scores a knockdown)
    Round 2: 10-9 Stecca
    Round 3: 10-9 Benichou
    Round 4: 10-9 Stecca
    Round 5: 10-8 Stecca (Benichou is docked a point for either low blow or kidney punch - not sure which)
    Round 6: 10-10 Even
    Round 7: 10-9 Benichou
    Round 8: 10-9 Stecca
    Round 9: 10-9 Stecca
    Round 10: 10-9 Benichou
    Round 11: 10-9 Stecca
    Round 12: 10-10 Even

Total: 115-113 Stecca (actual scores: 114-112 and 117-113 both for Stecca and a 114-113 for Benichou for a split win for Stecca)

To begin, you are not going to find a bigger contrast in styles than this fight...ever. Stecca was a very neat boxer whose fight was 99% left jab. And Benichou would make Jorge Castro look like a ballet dancer. His fight was rush Stecca and throw the most ungainly overhand shots from the fences and then maul on the inside. I did enjoy Stecca's jab - thought it was brilliant - but man, you'd think he could throw a few combinations or a straight right just to offset Benichou a little. I won't say the fight is a stinker. It was OK. The right man got the verdict.

4. Fogger

Fogger Father, grandfather and big sports fan. Full Member

Aug 9, 2021
    What an awesome trip you had! Really amazing.

For some reason the love of boxing, and all sports for that matter, can so easily be passed from generation to generation. My dad passed the love of boxing down to me thanks to weekly, televised Thursday night fights from the Olympic Auditorium. I was eight when we started watching them together and I learned to love it pretty quickly.

My dad swore until he passed away that Joe Louis was the GOAT heavyweight, while I swear it's Ali. My brother, born much later than me says Tyson would tear their heads off. My son decided to go with the little guys and Pacquiao is his favorite fighter.. I really hope I'm around when my grandson cheers for his favorite.

Saintpat and Jel like this.
  5. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    Haha, my father would say Ali is the greatest heavyweight but Floyd Patterson was HIS champion growing up and always his favorite. (I’m a Holmes man myself.)

I love those West Coast fights. They put together so many meaningful matches back in the day at the Olympic and the other LA arenas like the Forum.

There’s a period of time before ESPN had so many big sports league contracts and hadn’t quite matured into a slicker, more corporate product that they would sometimes pop on a later-night LA fight with Chick Herman on commentary on a random weekend night. I remember Cuevas-Espadas III for sure was one of them but there were more — pretty sure Arguello-Chacon as well. And with almost no warning or advertisement, you just flipped the channel and there it was.

The good ol’ days.

Fogger, Jel and WhataRock like this.
  6. Fogger

Fogger Father, grandfather and big sports fan. Full Member

Aug 9, 2021
    You have a great memory. Your post had me curious so I checked. Cuevas-Espada-3 took place in Los Angeles just four months after ESPN went on the air. Well done.

Saintpat likes this.
  7. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    I remember younger me flipping channels and being like “OMG PIPINO CUEVAS IS FIGHTING AND I GET TO WATCH IT!!!”

Jel likes this.
  8. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    Robbie Sims vs Bobby Czyz

1 Czyz
    2 Czyz
    3 Sims
    4 Sims
    5 Czyz
    6 Sims
    7 Czyz
    8 Czyz
    9 Sims
    10 Czyz 10-8 knockdown

Czyz 6 rounds to 4 96-93

Jel and George Crowcroft like this.
  9. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Dynamic, welcome aboard.

10. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    Thank you I joined forum few days ago, been really enjoying classic forum. Been learning alot and having good discussions.

11. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    It's a quality place. Make sure to look in on the lesser viewed threads, some of the knowledge that can be found in there can be absolutely amazing. :thumbsup:

12. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    Keep coming back. This forum really is special.

13. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    I just remembered that the afternoon of Mayweather-Pacquiao, I made an impulse purchase to order the fight. I called my Pop and invited him over. He brought wings and we watched the card and talked boxing the whole time.

I moved away, but on a few visits back if there were fights on TV -- any fights -- we'd watch them together. Made sure to build that into the schedule.

I'm back in the same town as my parents now so looking forward to more shared fight experiences while we still can.

EDIT: Even if we aren’t watching together, he always texts me when there are fights coming on and vice versa (he’s in his 80s and has even learned how to use emojis but not gifs, haha). And if it’s a good one we’ll text about the fight and usually talk about it later.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    Fogger, Jel and Dynamicpuncher like this.
  14. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Engels Pedroza v Eric (The Prince) Martin

Round 1: 10-10 Even
    Round 2: 10-9 Pedroza
    Round 3: 10-8 Pedroza (scores a knockdown)
    Round 4: 10-9 Pedroza
    Round 5: 10-9 Pedroza
    Round 6: 10-9 Pedroza
    Round 7: 9-8 Martin (Pedroza's round but he is penalized 2 points for repeated low blows)
    Round 8: 10-9 Pedroza
    Round 9: 10-10 Even
    Round 10: 10-8 Pedroza (scores a knockdown)

Total: 98-90 Pedroza (actual scores: 96-90, 96-89 and 96-91 all for Pedroza)

I actually enjoy Engels Pedroza fights because you never know how it's going to end. He is really at his height here as a 10 round club fighter. He would never really progress because he never learned to pace himself. He would always be winded those last few rounds. A real front-runner who would never leave enough in the tank for the journey home. But that was his magic. Martin was the perfect foil, a counter-puncher with an ordinary dig and a decent set of whiskers who gave the tiring Pedroza a bit of a scare in the 9th. A good matchup that should see the 10 round route and it did. Not scintillating stuff, but decent and it kept me intrigued as I didn't know the result and again, anything could happen in a Pedroza fight. If you want to see a really good hard-banging Pedroza fight, then watch his bout with Agustin Caballero. Now that was a good fight.

15. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Spence vs Peterson

This is a very clinical performance from Spence. So solid, strong and technical.

Doesn't negate the body work, doesn't get over confident, just relentlessly lands sharp well placed shots until Petersons corner see too much.

Very clinical.