These Quicky Stoppages have Got to STOP

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by The Professor, Jul 24, 2021.

1. OvidsExile

OvidsExile At a minimum, a huckleberry over your persimmon. Full Member

Aug 28, 2012
    The ref is there to make sure that the rules are followed and to speed up the fight.

Antsu likes this.
  2. Ph33rknot

Ph33rknot etreuM aL Full Member

Mar 5, 2012
    And to protect a fighter from himself

MarkusFlorez99 and OvidsExile like this.
  3. ForemanJab

ForemanJab Deus Vult Full Member

May 8, 2014
    While I would agree that early stoppages are a problem in the sport today, the ref made a good call here. Takam took about 25 unanswered punches to the head and the ref didn't look to intervene until the last right hand that sent Takam flying.

Toney F*** U and Wizbit1013 like this.
  4. OvidsExile

Aug 28, 2012
    It's not a matter of unanswered punches. It's their effect. Takam weathered them well. Blocked or slipped many. He was keeping his head low, staying inside where the punches couldn't land clean. He was rocked. He was hurt. But he wasn't in danger. Most likely he would have gotten dropped in a second or two and then it might have been appropriate to stop the fight. This was premature.

BoxerToxer likes this.
  5. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Disagree here. You have to show the ref after being hurt you can defend yourself, not throwing punches only tells the ref one thing, you don't have the capacity to defend yourself and so will step in. Yeah he was slipping some shots, but he was also taking a load of shots and was clearly hurt again when the ref stepped in. If it was near the end of he round then yeah maybe the ref could of let him continue knowing the bell could save him but they were still in the first minute and Takam had taken a pounding the whole round and not throwing, Takam showed nothing to suggest he could take 2 more mins of this.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  6. ForemanJab

ForemanJab Deus Vult Full Member

May 8, 2014
    Unanswered punishment shouldn't be overlooked. It demonstrates that a boxer no longer has the cognitive wherewithal to defend themselves properly. Just compare this stoppage to Takam-Joshua which was premature, Joshua lands a couple punches and as Takam fires back they end it. Here it's just one way traffic, yeah maybe not every single punch landed by Joyce was devastating but Takam wasn't putting up any type of meaningful resistance.

7. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    He legs went twice, badly and he took at least 16 punches without throwing back

I thought it was a BS stoppage at first but I've watched it back a few times now and its not as bad as it first seems

8. Wizbit1013

Mar 17, 2018

Im lost for words

9. Cally

Cally Sand...sand... nothing but sand! Full Member

Sep 12, 2015
    It's sports entertainment not fighting to the death.

o_O

10. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Yep this the bloodlust from some fans baffles me.

If you don't defend yourself you will get stopped.

If you get dropped 3 times and there's a 3 knockdown rule you will get stopped even if it looks like you can continue.

BubblesUK, lordlosh and Cally like this.
  11. ecto55

ecto55 דמוקרטיזציה של השממות האיסלאמיות כעת banned Full Member

May 28, 2009
    Its not bloodlust, its about giving a fighter his full opportunity to win.

When you've got a guy like Joyce opening up and exposed while trying to take a bloke out, I think the ref should really make sure the hurt fighter is hurt. I saw what I thought was 'waiting' on Takam's part...but I'll wait until I see it properly before getting ready to die on this hill.

BoxerToxer and Badbot like this.
  12. Badbot

Badbot I Am An Actual Pro. Full Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Second time Takam has been questionably stopped in the U.K.
    Just bring back mandatory 8 counts.

It´s fair to the boxers, the referees and the fans. Refereeing is a hard job, and mistakes are easy to make. I for one would rather have a fight stopped early instead of taking the risk of letting it go on for too long. However, 8 counts would work great there.

13. Wizbit1013

Mar 17, 2018
    Watch his legs go twice

Oddone and ecto55 like this.
  14. OvidsExile

Aug 28, 2012
    Of course, he wasn't going to make it another two minutes. That doesn't mean that he was done. Did you see how pissed he was when the ref stopped it?

BoxerToxer likes this.
  15. OvidsExile

Aug 28, 2012
    Usually, I would agree. But not in this case. Often unanswered punches does mean what you say. But sometimes guys shell up and try to weather the storm.