Time Conor Benn took a fight

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by impacted, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    If the product or service becomes less popular the business shrinks badly mate.

Once this Joshua exploitation of mugs phase is over it will be on its arris for years.

Howitzer1888 and Fhaggis like this.
  2. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    The Eubanks cracking performance last night watched by a tiny UK TV audience.

That fight would encourage big ticket sales and TV audiences for future fights but out of sight out of mind.

Once the Tony Dosh gravy train hits the buffers, Eh Day will have to dig deep into the bowels of Sky Sports Boxing to attract viewers.

3. DirtyOldTown

DirtyOldTown Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Once Joshua leaves to set up his own promotion company Hearn will be back down to earth and scratching around again. Him not getting Frampton is a fairly big statement from BT and Warren.

On the other topic had the powers that be put Eubank on terrestrial ITV I think his profile could have soared through the roof and with a meeting with Groves likely, they could have marketed that into a fairly big PPV as Groves is a well-known name to the general public. But no, they want a cash-out straight away. Seriously I doubt any of the general public even knew Eubank was fighting let alone paid for it.

I reckon about it would have done about 1k buys.

Jurgen likes this.
  4. dellboi94

dellboi94 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Boxing fans need to be patient, he had next to no amateur career and is very green. He clearly has great athletic ability and he needs time to hone his craft and skills. I would like to see an area title fight next.

S.K and lencoreastside like this.
  5. STEPHEN1990

STEPHEN1990 Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 22, 2017
    Don't even think he will win a area title there's some tough Champions at that level and to them it's there world title and they will not give it up and get knocked out like the trash his fought and what weights he even at

6. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Benn has had about 10 fights...in total. Considering on that he is nothing short of OUTSTANDING. Give him a chance ffs.

Beez likes this.
  7. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    The hype Sky has created for him is unreal. People genuinely saying he will win a world title and stuff like that, it's incredible. He fought a guy this weekend with even less fights than he has! He isn't even at area level and he's basically been chief support, it's ****ing deplorable. He's learning his trade, fair enough, so do it at small shows. Don't take up TV time with this dross. All you're seeing in Connor Benn fights is someone with the luxury of being able to be a full time sponsored athlete fighting club fighters without that. Can't stand the Harvey Price looking weapon.

8. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Hes coming along nicely tbf. But they need to start thinking about moving him up a level now. These guys hes fighting are basically amatuers. Looks like its becoming seriously close to dangerous matchmaking. Its a fine line...between putting him in against someone half decent too soon and keeping him fighting the guys hes fighting now.

But hes training about three times a day going up against guys that box part time. If he cant take the step up from that now...hes not going far. Its as simple as that.

I m actually impressed with him so far. All the flaws look like they can be ironed out. His mentalitys the most worrying thing that will probably end up letting him down. But take that out he ticks a lot of boxes. Hes gonna keep on getting better from here.

9. Russell

Russell VIP Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Maybe the future of boxing is being spoon fed completely manufactured fighters who's only relevancy comes from an existing brand/person.

10. DON1

DON1 ICEMAN Full Member

Apr 6, 2006
    He going at the right pace. He has F all amateur experience. This is the learning stages, but eventually, he will have to at least fight someone who actually breathes.

11. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    I have no problem with him learning his trade, starting off with knocking over cardboard cutouts having had next to nothing in amateur experience...but I do resent having to watch every single one of his fights on a big sky card with the commentators drooling over him. They need to take him out the limelight, get him fighting on small hall shows against fighters who will make him look terrible. That’s the only way he’ll improve.

12. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    My sentiments exactly. People seem to think we're not allowing a lad to develop, which is totally erroneous. Most of us take issue with a club fighter being chief support to a main event and then having a panel wax lyrical over someone probably not yet at area level (I think he said he isn't there yet himself recently).

Had someone at my work come up to me and ask if I saw him fight at the weekend. He said how amazing he looks, that he has to be challenging for world titles soon and that a fight with Eubank Jr is inevitable. I understand why Sky are doing it because ultimately it will sell, but it's bull**** all the same

Twentyman likes this.