Toney vs. Tiberi scorecard thread

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mendoza, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Toney vs. Tiberi

My card:

Round 1 10-9 Toney

Round 2 10-9 Tiberi

Round 3 10-9 Tiberi

Round 4 10-9 Tiberi

Round 5 10-9 Tiberi

Round 6* 10-8 Toney, The low blow call looked suspect, and I did not hear the Ref, who was likely in the tank for Toney give him a warning *

Round 7* Very close round, I gave it to Toney 10-9.

Round 8, 10-9 Tiberi

Round 9 10-9 for Tiberi

Round 10 10-9 for Tiberi

Round 11 10-9 for Tiberi

Round 12 10-9 for Tiberi

9-3 for Tiberi with a 1 point deduction.

One poster ( MCGrain ) who scored the fight had this to day.

This content is protected

1. This content is protected

Yet Recently you said this:

>>>HOLD On you said flip one round, and this is a 1 point fight?! Which Matt is correct here? I think what you said in 2013 was much better. How does one go from " This is arguably the worst decision on film." to flip one round and its a 1 point fight? Please explain that to me.

The summary of the fight is this: Tiberi took the fight to Toney, beat him to the punch, and outworked him, landing 149 more punches! It was a robbery. You had it right the first time.

Reinhardt likes this.
  2. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    :lol: well done Mendoza, you did a scorecard.

Yes, i've changed my mind about this fight down the years, I think Tiberi won but I don't think it's the definitive robbery people state it is.

3. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    I have lots of scorecards and post them here. So stop acting like this is a first. I'm not buying such a vast change in opinion here, you are caught, and I can do this all day If I choose. :nonono Before you said GGG not even a top 40 middle weight. :ibutt I'm noticing a pattern, I call you out with your own words then you backpedal like crazy. Your initial score card is your score card, I'm sure you heard of that one before.

I'm willing to score round four with with you we disagree on, as I mention many times.

I have additional data to post, plus information on the judges not even being legal in the state of NJ. This was a robbery. Other scorecards are welcome.

4. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Good Mendoza, that's good.

Caught at what?

So before I had Golovkin at 44, say - now I have him at 38, say, and i'm "backpedaling like crazy".

Look, I change my mind about things all the time - not a little, a lot. I learn something new, some tipping point is reached - or something new occurs, like the four or five fights Golovkin has had since I last thought about it. None of this is odd in any way.

Please can you explain to me what the above actually means? I know I write this a lot when replying to your posts, but I mean it this time - tell me what that means?

Yeah, I can do that. What does "Scoring a round with" someone entail? Set up a zoom meeting or something? What is it you want?

The sad thing here is there are currently as many as 8-10 posts by me to you on the threads that are on the front page of this forum that are unanswered. A lot. You repeatedly, to use your own word "duck" my posts. Here, you've opened a thread dedicated to calling me out. If it was a thread dedicated to calling out another poster, I would delete it, I generally don't allow that here, but as it's me, I tend to let it go so as not to accused of using moderator powers to benefit myself. But it's that bad.

The sad thing is you clearly see it as some sort of silver bullet, some great victory for yourself.

Yeah, i see Tone-Tiberi as a fight won by Tiberi and yeah I see it closer than I used to.

Yeah, I think Golovkin would rank a little higher now than he did would the last time I thought about it.

It's really, really sad that you add these two things up and come to the conclusion that you've "won" something. That you've done some exposure job. I also rate Joe Salica much higher than I used to :lol: Add that to the list, which is very long.

5. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Was it your sister or mother that James Toney had his way with ??

6. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Have to say that I quite often change my score of a fight I saw live the second time I see it. I had Pac winning the third fight with JMM when I rewatched it recently. Gave it to Marquez by two points, I think, when I watched it live.

Doesn't have much to do with anything, but there it is anyhow.

Loudon, mrkoolkevin and Tin_Ribs like this.
  7. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Mendoza hasn't even got a "first scorecard" i'm afraid. It's not even that sensible as a post.

But yeah, what you say is true.

Bokaj likes this.
  8. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Still a bit embaressed about that I felt a draw was fair verdict when I watched Lewis-Holy I live. Glad I'm not a judge.

Webbiano and Tin_Ribs like this.
  9. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    James Toney killed his dog with a shoulder roll counter.

10. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    What a goofy premise for a thread. "I saw you post something thirty years ago and soften your stance! AHA! Duplicity! Duplicity!"

I should watch the fight though; never have, oddly enough.

11. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Never seen it and don't care to. Toney at his worst doesn't interest me. At his best, that's another matter.

12. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

I agree, this fight should be in the dictionary under robbery with Chavez and Whitaker , I watched it live and thought 116-112 was the minimum for Tiberi . Decisions like this point to corruption.

Mendoza likes this.
  13. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Obsessing over this fight makes a lot of sense

Bokaj likes this.
  14. HolDat

HolDat Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Toney lost terribly, all that matters.

Mendoza, The Morlocks and Bokaj like this.
  15. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Sounds like the exact opposite viewpoint to the OP.

George Crowcroft and Bokaj like this.