Tony Tucker V Ken Norton?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Oct 2, 2019.

1. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Tucker went the distance with Tyson in mostly survival mode. He did land a nice uppercut in the 1st round I believe but he didn't open up after that. Against Douglas he was losing and Buster IMO just gave up after he was hit with a decent right hand. That was the worst quit job I have ever seen in boxing.
    Tucker give a good account of himself against Lewis when he let his hands go.
    I just believe Norton is a more skilled, quicker boxer.
    Norton UD

Tonto62 and choklab like this.
  2. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    When a guy is in survival mode they can be tough to get out of there. When a guy fights to win and takes chances they can get caught. Not everyone has that warriors mentality.
    Some guys are content going the distance, blaming judges or whatever.

choklab likes this.
  3. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    Tyson was a little guy and Tucker was able to hold and smother him. Bonecrusher did the same thing as did Blood Green.

4. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    Who did Frazier beat, until he got a 1 out of 3 against a fellow clowning on the ropes? Fat nameless Mathis? 20-6-1 Ramos, who got one name under his wins (Terell), meeting a guy on the debut as the last fight prior Frazier? Zyglewicz :lol:? Oh sure, he beat tons of names! Quarry lost to Ellis a year prior, only beating the since beaten Mathis. Then comes Ellis, who at least beat the guys Frazier has beaten before.....and after that the LHW, who in contrast to Spinks weighted 188lb on the night. We both know who came after Ali, I do not even need to say a word here.

Thomas did not fight names after the close Berbick loss, but fought until 2 1/2 months prior Tyson.
    Berbick beat Thomas and got 8 months.
    Holmes had an layoff, but most of the house saw Holmes winning the rematch.
    Smith beat Witherspoon, 3 1/2 months prior Tyson!
    34 - 0 Tucker beat the guy who beat Tyson himself, two months until next fight!
    Unbeaten gold medallist fought 2 1/2 months prior Tyson.
    Tubbs fought 6 months prior to Tyson, only beaten by Witherspoon since.
    Spinks was the LHW champ, but in contrast to all the others, didn´t fight for a year.
    Bruno fought 4 months prior to Tyson, beating Tillis and Bugner.
    Williams 8 months until his fight, beating unbeaten Rouse, Cooper and Berbick.

Williams, Bruno, Biggs, Tucker and Thomas under the age of 30.
    Tubbs, Berbick and Spinks under the age of 33.

Next to Holmes, the fighter you admire most of the 80s "HWs", got the longest break. In contrast to Spinks, the rest was chronological ready to go!

What hurts is your crap. Sure, Tyson didn´t prove that much as a fighter at the time against Tucker :lol: What fairytales are you trying to bring up next?
    And know what? I see that bunch giving the Frazier guys a run for their money, including the clowning unseasoned Ali. Or by the way, the so called great 70s gang Ali used to beat after Foreman too....

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  5. Tonto62

Tonto62 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Good post! Apart from the underlined .

choklab likes this.
  6. GOAT Primo Carnera

Jan 28, 2018
    Without a doubt, Tucker was mismanaged and wasted his best years. Nevertheless, he prob. gave Tyson the best fight. And for me was the only of four fighters going the distance plus opening up for punches. He was simply rougher than Norton.

7. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    This is all a bit of a very inaccurate response to the reality that most of Tyson’s title opponents were indeed horribly prepared to challenge for titles when meeting him.
    but look at who Thomas was fighting two and a half months prior to Tyson! It was not a rated opponent was it? So it cannot contradict what I said about
    Thomas not won a fight against a rated fighter for two whole years. Pinklon was 3-1 Over a period where Tyson had 26 fights and beaten 3 world class opponents.

yes Holmes might have got the decision in one of those fights but what does that change about this statement:

“Since Larry last won a fight Tyson had amassed 30-0 run of a 32-0 career, winning 5 world title fights”

Smith had faced 4 opponents in the last 12 months. 3 were world class and he had lost one of them. don’t forget in order to collect that title Tyson knows he’s against a guy who lost to marvis Frazier. A guy Tyson had no trouble with. What a comforting thought that must be for any challenger...

Yes Tucker had fought on Tyson’s last show. In the past year Tyson had 4 fights, 3 world class opponents to Tuckers 2 fights in that time with one being world level. Tyson has the edge in preparation again doesn't he?

Christ. Who exactly did Tubbs fight 6 months earlier? Remind us of who was required as preparation for Tyson? Does it change that
    Tubbs had not beat a world class opponent since weeks after Tyson started his professional career some three years and 31 fights earlier? Or that The last rated Guy Tubbs fought beat him some two years earlier? Since then he’d been ticking over in 3 low grade wins. whilst Tyson was winning 4 title fights.

no. You are incorrect.
    Since Frank last Fought Tyson had defended his title 3 times. Frank had been inactive for over a year. Bruno had not fought at World level for 3 years.
    Er, the 29 year old clowning unseasoned Ali (fresh off 2 wins over Quarry and Bonavena) that Frazier fought loses to Tony Tubs who was deliberately avoided a bonus to get in shape after his coach walked out on him?? That’s unprecedented in championship history but it happened to Tubbs. Or a 39 year old Larry Holmes who had not won a fight for almost 3 years??

The 70s gang that Ali beat after Foreman were by the most part better prepared to fight for the title than Tyson’s guys were. I mean none of them had fought once in the time Ali had won 30 fights. None of them had been as inactive as that. There were a few duds. Certainly, apart from bugner, The Europeans were not worthy. But Lyle, Frazier, Norton And Shavers each walk right through Tyson’s ill prepared lot.

8. GOAT Primo Carnera

Jan 28, 2018
    You could apply the same bull**** standard among other title runs. Your correct about Bruno, but imho Tysons prime ended before Bruno anyway, since he did a layoff himself there. We were talking about Tyson against Tucker.
    And most of these guys were young and, without long layoffs, ready for another fight.
    Of course did Tyson fight more often. Nobody else had the same intense resume in such a short timespan. How is s that a reference for anything?
    In another thread, you´re telling Michael Spinks was the guy to beat. Who did he fight since Larry Holmes, not fighting for another year against Tyson?
    Most of Tysons early run was against normally seasoned boxers. Or do you see alot of Tyson opp. exchangeable at that stage?

You know yourself that dumb clowning Ali, for some one of the worst Alis until he got old, is the holy cow for Frazier H2H lvl. Plus going 1-2 against that man later!

Yeah? What about Norton getting KO´d R1 against that Smith guy, who did the same against a comparable bigger guy? Didn´t he got robbed against Marvis too?
    I wouldn´t bet an penny on Lyle or Shavers beating Berbick, Thomas, Tubbs, Tucker or for another instance, an aging Holmes....

9. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    I agree the best version of Thomas, the best version of Tubbs, the best POTENTIAL version of Tucker or the best POTENTIALLY Biggs can be are all very good fighters that can beat the 1970s guys Ali fought.

But they were all horribly disadvantaged against Tyson because Tyson was more active than they were. those guys could compete with that. They were not the best versions of themselves the night they fought Tyson. They were probably deliberately matched not to be the best they could be. They just had not had enough ring activity to do themselves justice.

I’d love to see how good Tucker can be fighting 12 times a year against an increasing level of opposition. With everything stacked in his favour.

10. GOAT Primo Carnera

Jan 28, 2018
    Why didn´t he do? Why not let young Biggs fight that often?