Traveller boxers don't get a fair shake!

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Hattonmad, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    *Anthony Joshua was awarded a gold medal in the London Olympics and he is signed with the country's leading promotional outfit and sports broadcaster (Matchroom/SKY).
    *He's a KO puncher.
    *He has an 'Adonis' physique and looks.

Those are the reasons he gets so much media coverage and such interest from the public and draws so many viewers. Obviously, real boxing fans know Tyson Fury is the more accomplished boxer by far.
    But in professional boxing being the best doesn't always get you instant credit.
    Fury should have sent Wladmir into retirement by now and exposed Joshua as all hype but instead he'd rather dwell on the negative media and do nothing.

JK-10 likes this.
  2. JK-10

JK-10 New Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2014
    As much as people don't want to admit this, the reason they don't have the same profile is promotion. If the 3 of them had been in the Matchroom stable and regularly on Sky, they would be in a different place entirely. Fighting on Channel 5 in front of their extended family in Glow or at Paisley Leisure Centre isn't going to get the masses talking and keep them relevant.

One thing in the OP's rant made me laugh - the part about Fury taking Chisora's soul and how nobody else has done that before, not even Haye? A 5th round knockout in a contest that he was quite easily dictating, is somewhat more spectacular than the two Fury vs Chisora snoozefests we had to endure.

lawslaw likes this.
  3. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    A lot what you say I agree with, but I don't think it's got anything to do with being a traveller.
    Joshua had a head start because he was Olympic champion.
    I know it's against hand picked opponents but Joshua knocks people out, put the two together and you have a hyped up prospect.
    Fury for all his size and boxing ability simply isn't a knock out artist and fans tend to go with that style for heavyweights.

4. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    I agree about Saunders record, but Eubank Junior has one thing going for him that gives him a head start over Saunders, and quite simply that's his name.
    I happen to think he's a joke and hasn't the substance as a fighter of Saunders, but I don't think Billy Joe is suffering in comparison because he's a traveller.

Twentyman likes this.
  5. Octolony shore

Octolony shore Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 14, 2016
    This content is protected

Fury and saunders don't get any credit because they haven't beat anyone between them, except for fury scraping a win against an old washed up wlad in the worst hw title fight i can remember. Lets not forget they are both knob heads as well as overrated boxers.

6. Farmboxer

Farmboxer VIP Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Joshua was given a gift decision against Camerelle, home town. Kovalev beat the crap out of Ward, but Ward's judges gave him a decision that was booed even by Ward fans..................yes, Ward has his judges, referee, boxing commission, etc., way too often the home town boxer gets the decision...................

7. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    They're given lots of credit for their wins, I don't know where this idea comes from.

However, Tyson and Hughie still have the results of a UKAD hearing to come to light which would rightly tarnish anything they've done with their careers thus far.

The only thing Saunders gets **** for is turning down the GGG fight and his inactivity, which are both things plenty of other fighters get stick for.

Technical ability wise, they get all the right amount of plaudits.

8. JohnH

JohnH Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2016
    https://postimg.org/image/uo0cyrszb/

QUIZ SHOWS

9. JohnH

JohnH Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2016
    Tyson and BJS, both wankers.

Hughie, physically repugnant and a mumbling cretin.

Nothing to do with being 'travellers'

For 'fytin men' that supposedly don't give a f*ck what the public think of them, they do a lot of whining . .

lawslaw likes this.