Tyson Fury - Overrated, underrated or somewhere in between?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Heisenberg, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    Statistically Fury has a world championship record of 1-0-1 (0 ko). In 24 official rounds of championship boxing, Fury has only landed 170 punches, that’s an average of just 7 punches per round. On average, 4 of those 7 punches would of been those ‘flicky’ jabs of his. Fury has scored no knockdowns but has felt the canvas twice. Somehow though, the enigma that is Fury has probably shaded a fair majority of those rounds with accolades of ‘masterclass’ and ‘schooling’ all over boxing forums.

Credit where it’s due, he went to the champions backyard and won the lineal championship from an ATG, but an ageing one in Wladimir Klitschko. The fight in my opinion was beyond awful with Fury landing just 86 punches over the 12 rounds - 56% of these were jabs.

Then we get the 2 year period of inactivity following Fury pulling out of a Klitschko rematch and retiring. Scepticism would suggest this conveniently coincided with a looming suspension for PED and recreational drug use, plus due to the time away it meant no rematch clause lawsuit from the Klitschko’s camp.

Once again though, Fury travelled to a dominant champions country and challenged the highly dangerous Deontay Wilder for the WBC strap. It was a good fight in which he was knocked down twice and landed only 84 punches over the 12 rounds - 55% were jabs.

If Fury does indeed go on to fight and beat Wilder in their 2020 rematch, going by boxrec’s independent ratings it’ll be his first win over NOT just a top 10, but a top 25 ranked heavyweight in the 4 years post Klitschko. Nobody can argue that Fury is a walking contradiction and a media w.hore but how good or how bad is the real Tyson Fury as a fighter?

2. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    We just don’t know at the minute. That Klitschko fight 4 years ago and since that a draw vs Wilder which he was lucky/unlucky depending on what preference the person you ask has.

People call him an all time great, some even say he’s the GOAT? But he really needs to start picking up his opposition in 2020 as he’s doing himself nor the fans any favours at the moment.

farai, Gatekeeper, Robney and 3 others like this.
  3. ryanm8655

ryanm8655 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Sure this same topic came up not so long ago.

As with most of these sorts of questions the answer is somewhere in between. But the evidence you present isn’t exactly balanced.

He’s a fighter who can beat anyone on his day.

4. UKboxingfan

UKboxingfan Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Fury is a talented fighter and a great boxer, great feet and movement for such a big man. We all know his limitations though, he doesn’t have the power to come close to knocking any top level fighter out which means he’s always gonna be at risk.

Some people hold him at ATG level but he needs to improve the level of fighter he faces. It’s in his own interests as well as he usually raises his game for better opponents and probably won’t get an injury like his last fight.

Gatekeeper and Oddone like this.
  5. Momus

Momus Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    In terms of his current ranking, he's clearly one of the best heavyweights in the world, and has a reasonable claim to be number 1. I think most people agree with that, and if they don't have him at the top they would at least have him in the top 3.

If we're talking his historical rating, we really need to see his career play out before making that call. I think it's fair to say that there isn't much depth to his resumé. There is a big drop-off after Klitschko and Wilder, and his next best win is Chisora who obviously has lost to most of the top 10 guys he's faced. I don't have much time for any claims that Klitschko and Wilder weren't elite-level performances though.

6. BoxingABC1

BoxingABC1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Somewhere inbetween, he's not the second coming, or the best since Ali, but he is the best of this era

7. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    I think in a historical context he is vastly overrated.

In terms of modern heavyweights I think he is about where he should be and that's top 3 of a bad bunch.

8. DON1

DON1 ICEMAN Full Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Overrated. Wilder fight flattered him.

Reinhardt and rezzer like this.
  9. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    If anyone did a H2H with Fury against any HW there has ever been in the history of boxing, you could make solid arguments for Fury winning, unless someone is a massive Fury-hater.

That says it all really.

ryanm8655 likes this.
  10. Bridie mcmahon

Bridie mcmahon Active Member banned Full Member

Sep 10, 2015
    On his day i believe he's the best heavyweight in the world but he's still to prove it for me.

11. Camaris

Camaris Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Over-rated. Bear in mind that since his return from depression he has been regarded by many as the second coming. He wins ugly and boring against an old, under-motivated and off-form Klitchko (with Wlad having a horrific camp and personal problems) in a poor fight. His timing was fortunate and he executed a great technical fight. Then is out with depression and banned for substance abuse. He then returns fighting poor quality opposition (fair enough) in poor fights (not really fair enough). He then fights Wilder - a fighter considered by many to be amongst the technically worst to reach the pinnacle of the sport - and again executes a technical exhibition. I think this is his best moment because of the back story, and it was a 'spectacle' and entertainment because of the context rather than the fight itself. The fight itself was memorable for the knockdowns and the getting up.

Which brings us to recent events. Back to poor opposition and boring fights. I actually think the WIlder KD's have taken something out of Tyson and will be backing Wilder in the rematch. It's for a different thread, but I think Tyson's distorted physique and 'physical gifts' are of the sort that are likely to vanish overnight when they go. Then? Timberrrr.....

Tyson is a great technical fighter, but a boring fighter in the marquee division, short of a proper punch. This is some people's cup of tea, but it's not mine. Not at heavyweight. I think he is over-rated and the excitement comes from the back-story, the '0', and the dance partner (an unbeaten Wilder in fight #2 will be huge). His best achievements are outside the ring where I find him quite interesting, but inside it? Nope, not really.

12. Bridie mcmahon

Bridie mcmahon Active Member banned Full Member

Sep 10, 2015
    People calling him an atg are trolling tbh.

13. zulander

zulander Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2006
    I think the answer is we still don't know. He's an enigma. Not many gave him a chance v Wlad. Then he went to his back yard. Removed Wlad's jab from the equation made the champion hesitant and unsure and landed enough to get the win.

Time out and then in with Wilder - where he outfoxes the champion but gets nailed twice and is either unlucky not to win on point or lucky not have been stopped.

In the next year i'd like to see him get in with Wilder and AN Other. Joshua, Ruiz (if he isn't a one hit wonder) etc and then you could say he's fought 3 top guys in this era. Beat them and you would have a fair guess at how good he is.

At the moment he blows hot and cold with a style that can at times be frustrating - when it all comes together he's capable of looking like no one else his size

14. Aydamn

Aydamn Dillian Da Dissappointment Full Member

Jul 31, 2018
    Most overrated boxer in the history of boxing.

305th likes this.
  15. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    I loved how Teddy Atlas described him, ‘he’s David in Goliath’s body, he fights like a welterweight’.

There’s been nobody really like him in the history of heavyweight boxing. He is very unique in that he’s 6”9 and is one of the most awkward fighters you will ever see. In a division that is renowned for big knockouts, he prides himself on the complete opposite in that he aims to take an opponent’s tools away by befuddling and spoiling their rhythm. He thrives with this as he’s in a division where fighters notoriously plant their feet and throw hard.

I don’t believe he’s the best ever...but I believe he could beat the best ever if people get my drift. He needs more notable defining names on his resume’.