Tyson V Berbick - Lewis V Ruddock?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Aug 8, 2022.

1. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    THAT was a big surprise after the Tyson fights. You know, I think that would have been a different fight had it been during Lewis' Steward era. Lewis would have still beat him, just later.

The Ruddock fight imo proved that Lewis had an even more potent right hand than Iron Mike, quite an achievement.

Fergy likes this.
  2. channy

channy 4.7.33 banned Full Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Lewis's of Ruddock, i didn't want him to lose but feared he would at some point get sparked by the "Smash" but he made it look easy, to the extent my brother was screaming no way, that was fixed!!

Fergy likes this.
  3. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    It was a real danger right that Lewis had
    I think it shocked people, Ruddock going 19 rounds with Tyson then getting blasted out in 2.

4. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Channy, I was the same, I thought Ruddock was going to ice him.
    The old horizontal heavy from England was in my mind!

channy likes this.
  5. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    I too pick Lewis/Ruddock.

I went to Earls Court hoping Lewis could win, but not expecting it. I could see Lewis at his very best, out jabbing Ruddock to win a decision if everything goes perfect, but in reality he was going to be victim to the Smash...

Lewis blowing Ruddock out in two was simply not even an outside scenario...

Some may have picked Tyson to blow out Berbick, but they were in a minority, but it was an outside scenario.

As for the betting; here in the UK Ruddock was a bordering on solid favourite. And as mentioned Tyson was a very warm favourite come fight time, but a week before the odds were pick-em. Of course the caveat being a lot more money would have been bet in the few days before the fight, than would have been put on in the weeks leading up to the fight in the pre internet era.

6. channy

channy 4.7.33 banned Full Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Man that was one crazy build up and by the sounds of it, we all fell for it!!

Every local rag you opened had pretty much the same headlines, showing the RR smash and how LL is in trouble etc etc

So glad i didn't put any money on RR!!

But it did inspire me to put money on Holyfield to beat Tyson, the pattern was set, the media BS constantly telling folk to fear the worst, talking about his heart condition and defibs being in place at ringside :lol:

Yeah i won a few quid that night!!

7. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    They both had different circumstances which made them both great. Lewis was an underdog against a dangerous contender and over delivered. Tyson was 20 years old fighting for a title against a proven world beater who had just beaten Pinklon Thomas who many felt was the best heavy in the world in early 1986. I suppose if I had to pick one as being superior I’d go with Tyson vs Berbick by virtue of the fact that it was a historical record breaking affair

Fergy and RulesMakeItInteresting like this.