Uzcategui willing to step in for groves????

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by lencoreastside, Mar 5, 2018.

1. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    would this work? He was masterful against direll. Will the final be Uzi v smith? And if so....Would he beat smith in the final?

2. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Excellent news as a back up. Ideally it's best that the final is Groves and Smith but if that ends up not possible it's vital it contains two of the best super middleweights in the world, and not someone who has already lost in the tournament.

3. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    Hang on ...that would rule out eugod....er I mean Eubank.

Imagine if smith gets an injury...and its Eubank v Uzi in the final!!! :)

I think Uzis would beat smith....

Suspect.chin likes this.
  4. moog

Mar 12, 2012
    I think Braemer would come in 1st as he's with Kalle and he never lost in tournament.

lencoreastside likes this.
  5. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    I was amazed at the improvement uzcategui showed from a few years ago, he really has added so much to his game. Against direll he showed great intelligent yet aggressive movement, particularly sophisticated head movement,a very active guard, constant feinting, moving side to side and up and down, great footwork and balance, lots of tricky shots from both hand from awkward angles etc. He kept the pressure on for 3 minutes of every round. I don't rate uzi as a puncher, but I really think he would give smith or groves a torrid time. I'm not sure either could cope with him.

6. moog

Mar 12, 2012
    I need to See a bit more of him to be honest to make my mind up but from what I did see the other night and it was only part of the fight he looked very impressive. Will watch more of his in the coming days.

7. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    He did well against Dirrell but Dirrell was done, really. But he has definitely improved. His feet are still clumsy but he'd be Smith's best win, if he was able to.

Would be nice if Zurdo stopped trying to make a fight with Fielding and offered to step in.

8. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    Dirrell was shot and a sitting duck target. Yet still landed some big single hand shots on Uz. I haven’t been impressed with Smith in the tournament but I’d back him to destroy Uz. Don’t want to see it anyway, Groves in the final or just scrap the whole thing.

Suspect.chin likes this.
  9. Suspect.chin

Suspect.chin Active Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2017
    Us would give smith a good fight but it would ruin the final if they replace groves. They should wait for him to get fit or at least replace him with a world title holder.

ryuken87 likes this.
  10. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    Hang on ctf. Even if direll was "shot"....and he seemed well prepared and confident going in....a win like that over a shot direll still easily trumps Smiths performance against the elderly kick boxer, surely?

No way does the limited, stiff, one dimensional smith from that last fight "destroy" Uz. I doubt smith beats him at all, never mind destroy him.

Suspect.chin likes this.
  11. ryuken87

ryuken87 Active Member Full Member

Mar 8, 2014
    I don't really want to see any final except Groves vs Smith, even if it means waiting a bit longer what's the harm?

As a stand alone fight Uzgategui vs Smith is a good fight well worth watching.

12. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Its not the final then though it's just another fight. They HAVE to have the 2 finalists or no pint completing the tournament

Suspect.chin likes this.
  13. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    I think most European level SMWs would have a good shot at being today’s Dirrell. Andre’s legs have gone. Time will tell how good Smith’s win over Holzken really is. I think Holzken proved he is better than we all expected. Uzcategui gets hit too often, I think Smith would have a field day.

Scissors and boranbkk like this.
  14. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    That’s how I feel. Can’t have a final of a tournament with someone who’s a) lost in an earlier round or b) hasn’t fought their way to a final!

Suspect.chin likes this.
  15. carlingeight

carlingeight Active Member Full Member

May 15, 2016
    Him stepping in for Braehmer would have been great. Stepping in for Groves - no thanks.

HerolGee, Suspect.chin and Scissors like this.