Was Holmes , Tyson s Peak Performance?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Golden_Feather99

Golden_Feather99 Active Member Full Member

Apr 23, 2019
    I actually didn't know that lol. Thanks.

Sangria likes this.
  2. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    There's a great Holmes interview in KO magazine in '86. He actually challenges Mike and asks him to "Show me you can kick my ass!"

Golden_Feather99 likes this.
  3. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Tyson was still improving with each fight. He hadn't reached his peak yet. Unfortunately his story parallels that of Anakin Skywalker who fell to the dark side, which ended up crippling him, and losing many Force abilities.

Fergy and Golden_Feather99 like this.
  4. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Good one !

Golden_Feather99 likes this.
  5. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Tho Holmes was only a shadow of his former self this was certainly peak Tyson. Holmes was still canny, awkward, and very very very hard to stop.

ironchamp, Sangria and Fergy like this.
  6. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    The Spinks fight was Mike's peak and probably his greatest victory (I know, ain't saying so much).

Larry was around five years into his decline when he fought Mike, hadn't fought in nearly two years, was 38 freaking years old (check out Ali and Tyson at that age). All one has to do is watch his last three fights before Tyson to know this wasn't what even Mike himself referred to as the "legendary Larry Holmes".

7. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    Your correct in that it wasn't Holmes at his best .It can t have been with two years away and his age . But as you say , look at Ali Tyson same age ,, but after this Holmes went on to beat Mercer , go the distance with Holyfield and then McCall ,a close decision .So to say Tyson kod him ,I believe it's a pretty good achievement .
    Even with a year to prepare I still see Tyson stopping him , but not many other s would .

8. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    It's just that I don't see the 88 Holmes as being the quality of the Mercer Holmes. I really don't. Two years of ring rust and limited preparation, coming off two disputable losses...

The Mercer Holmes had fought enough in his comeback to get and keep his ring genius-gears working. Holmes had an inordinately (for him) hard time tying up Tyson, mysteriously forgot how to roll with punches (contrast that with Larry against Mercer), and apparently trained without paying attention to Mike's tough(er) fights like Tillis.

Now, I don't believe the Mercer Holmes would actually beat a prime Tyson...no. I do think however that Mercer Larry's ring savvy against the young, impetuous, overeager Mike would have lasted into the later rounds. And I do think that 90s right hand would have bugged the hell out of Mike much more than it did in the 1988 fight.

The 88 Holmes was a markedly worse fighter than the guy who almost didn't beat Williams and Spinks. And those last mentioned are without question three fights where he looked notably not great. Holmes against Mercer looked like an old champion who hadn't lost it imo.

And yeah I know Mercer ain't Tyson, folks. I still think Mercer-Larry would have been able to both tie Mike up and roll with the blows far better than 88 Larry. That right hook would have gotten in, too.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    lloydturnip and Fergy like this.
  9. GoldenHulk

GoldenHulk Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 7, 2007
    I'd say it was definitely one of his peak performances. Tyson between 85-90 had quite a run.

10. Tramell

Tramell Hypocrites Love to Pray & Be Seen. Mathew 6:5 Full Member

Sep 21, 2012
    This!

11. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    Fair enough comments pal ,all valid .
    I'd like to have seen Tyson v Mercer tbh , the Merc that gave Lewis and Holyfield a good tussle , would have been a good scrap .

12. lloydturnip

lloydturnip Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Very true .I hoped the Mercer would meet Tyson would of been a great fight.I would give Ray a decent chance he hit hard had concrete chops and most importantly wouldn't be intimidated by Tyson Ray was a nutter and feared nobody

Fergy likes this.
  13. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    He was that for sure .I remember a boxing mag around about 1989 , was looking at up and coming fresh heavyweight s . They had Lewis ,Bowe ,Seldon and Mercer listed . One of the big fight s mentioned was Tyson v Mercer . And has time went on I hoped they would clash , but unfortunately not to be .
    Trying to factor in when could have faced each other , not sure when Tyson came out of jail if Mercer was still a contender but I believe he was . Let's say after koing Bruce , Tyson faced him then . Could have been an upset there maybe !?

lloydturnip likes this.
  14. GordonGarner65

GordonGarner65 Active Member Full Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Absolutely