Was Jack Dempsey racist?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Hydraulix, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Only on ESB Classic can a discussion of Jack Dempsey become a full-blown discourse within the area of Moral Philosophy.

:lol:

Tractatus Ethica Puglistica

2. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Absolutely BB!!! We're on the same page here...hey one of my favorite fighters, Carlos Monzon, was a brutal, horrid individual...Sonny Liston stuffed people in garbage cans...I could go on and on about great fighters whose work I admire so much who were complete failures or were complete failures as individuals outside of the ring..these realities I consign to the big "OH WELL..." file of life. This modern day selfrighteousness that the sports lefties in ESPN and other "enlightened" media types and some fans as well exhibit sickens, disgusts and finally enrages me. Just think of all the threads wasted on the subject of whether Gene Tunney, Jack Dempsey, Tommy Loughran, etc., were either "racist" or folloed a "color line"....these men aren't around today to defend themselves and meanwhile, the old double standards keep going on...and I remember sooo many things that good ol' warm and fuzzy Muhammad Ali was on record for saying back in the 60's that were as downright racist as coulod be...all while the idiot leftist white media was busy kissing his ass. i use Ali as an example...well he sure mellowed out and became quite the opposite in his views I would say in later years...well good for him..let bygones be bygones then..and the same should hold true for all these long dead greats that everyone seems to want to exhume to trash and besmirch...and again, they aren't around anymore to defend themselves.

3. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    Yeah, it's actually quite bizarre that Dempsey, of all people, is viewed with suspicion of being a "racist".
    The guy was pretty much famed in his post-boxing life for being a genuinely warm and welcoming individual for all people, regardless of background, creed or colour. Now, I don't know if his warm-heartedness and hospitality has been embellished or exaggerated, but I've never heard of anything to the contrary.
    As you say, there's absolutely no evidence, even anecdotal, that suggest Dempsey had a problem with black people.

4. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    Yep.
    I've long grown out of expecting my favourite celebrities, actors or sports people to be anything more than what they are in their professional capacity.
    It's a bonus if they actually turn out to be good people outside of their work, but it's impact on me is minimal at best anyway.

5. burt bienstock

burt bienstock Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2010
    :good
    RC, you nailed it ! This HAD to be SAID.I am old and wise enough to see what you wrote above is true.To extoll the virtues of one group over another group, to make oneself feel,somewhat "noble", expunge guilt feelings, of the past, that you or your family had no part of,has one name
    now it is called pandering, and I,tolerant of every group,want no part of that.Every conceived act today by you or I can be tarred ,by the word
    "racist".It creates a society of "victimization",that doesn't bode well of our society, and puts innocent people on the defensive...Wrong, wrong..
    Thanks RC, for your truism...:good:good:good

6. red cobra

Jul 28, 2004
    Thanks BB...I hate the hypocrisy that goes on all the time nowadays....Bernard Hopkins says what he does about "white boys"..and nobody bats an eyelash...Mayweather says one stupid, racist thing after another and it's never mentioned by the idiots in the press..or by the idiot fans of Mayweather. This PC **** is the cancer of our society.

7. Johnstown

Johnstown Boxing Addict banned

Aug 30, 2010
    How could dempsey be a hired ******...any woman would have been happy to get drilled by that brutally handsome *******.

8. Johnstown

Johnstown Boxing Addict banned

Aug 30, 2010
    I am going to change all my resumes to say that I am looking for a job breaking in whores...

Ok I'm done with my lounge like comments.

9. burt bienstock

burt bienstock Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2010
    90%of the press are the college students of the radical professors of the
    1960s.They feel more empathy for the mugger, than the victim. They disregard what outrageous comments by some black athletes said today,and try to tar a Jack Dempsey as "racist",for what he MAY have
    done NINETY years ago.Damnit the guy is dead these many years, and why
    regurgitate these innuendos again and again..Every race has it's good guys and it's bad characters, I have found out, lo these many years...

10. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    I don't believe the "hired ******" thing either.
    Who in their right mind gives up a legitimate raping career to become a struggling prizefighter ? :think

11. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    I disagree.
    Bernard Hopkins' remarks were quite widely reported.

12. red cobra

Jul 28, 2004
    Yes, they were reported, but no big deal was ever made of them...all these excuses his fans came up with for him..that's why I say **** this crap of slandering guys who have been dead for years as "racist".

13. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    I don't think a big deal should be made of them. It made sports page headlines, pre-fight hype, nothing else. "Boxer Says Something Stupid" is not front-page worthy.
    I don't think Jack Dempsey is slandered as a racist generally. Maybe one boxing writer I've read said he was, the rest of it is just nonsense that goes on in the small world of ESB.

14. Stonehands89

Stonehands89 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 12, 2005
    ...Who put the bee in your bonnet?

In an earlier post I stated that Dempsey "may have been a hired ****** during his teenage years." It was not a conclusion because I don't know. You said that this allegation has been proved false. I said "I hope so" and then asked for a source because I would like to use it the next time someone brings it up.

I asked you for facts, and you give me hysterics. Slow your roll.

15. Boucher

Boucher Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 18, 2010
    The onus is surely on you to provide facts,not me.:huh

Why would you repeat something like that without a shred of evidence?:huh

Why would anyone have to prove themselves innocent , when there is no proof to the contrary?:huh

That is a bee in my bonnet?:huh

No hysterics,just puzzlement.

Lets start again ,shall we?