Was Mike Tyson right to bite Holyfield?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by BoxingDialogue, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Sting like a bean

Sting like a bean Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Apr 9, 2017
    You scoff, but it works. I’m a regional manager whose underlings are comprised almost entirely of former bosses with missing ears. True story.

I highly recommend reading Bite, Gouge, and Get Rich by Jeanpierre Bleauphart. (The cover has a cutesy New Yorker style cartoon with a dude sticking his thumb in a guy’s eye at a cocktail party.)

2. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Of course he wanted to inflict pain on Holyfield, he believed that was the only way he could get back at Holyfield as he couldn't do it with his gloves.

3. Golden_Feather99

Golden_Feather99 Active Member Full Member

Apr 23, 2019
    That's not true. He wasn't trying to get back at Evander for punching him in the face. It was because of the headbutts. Foul for a foul mate. What about Evander though? Did Evander butt Tyson because he couldn't do anything with his gloves?

Sangria likes this.
  4. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    You are seeing things you want to, the cut was caused by an accidental clash of heads.

Can you remember in the first bout when Mikey bout went in head first and came off second best crying like a girl?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  5. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    In Tysons mind it was the best way to lose- Steroids affecting his thought process? ? or a way out? It was a good choice because of a tiny fraction of people asking this question but the choice was - HOW to lose!!!

Wass1985 likes this.
  6. Golden_Feather99

Apr 23, 2019
    I'm not seeing things the way I want to. I can bring up 10 different fights where Holyfield butted people and hit them with low blows. That's what he did against Tyson. I don't believe the headbutt in the 2nd round was "accidental". Post-prison Tyson telegraphed his punches, everyone knows this. That's how Holyfield timed him. His head didn't happen to be exactly where Tyson's head was by "accident". Evander is 5" taller than Tyson. Tyson didn't jump up to meet Evander, Evander lowered his head. And it wasn't a coincident that Evander's head was always turned sideways when they butted heads. Tyson telegraphs his right hand in the second round and Evander slips the punch going in the same direction where Mike's head's going but he has his head turned sideways. And Holyfield follows up with a picture perfect uppercut to the nuts. If it was just the headbutt, maybe it could've been accidental. But right after you felt your head collide with your opponent's head, your instinct is to follow up with a ****ing low-blow? That doesn't seem "accidental" to me. Because Evander has done this before. This was his signature combo when it comes to "dirty-boxing".

Sangria likes this.
  7. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    Tyson hit Evander after the bell in round 1 in the first fight (and Evander fired right back) before any butts and low blows occured. Tyson's camp particularly Horne and Rory Holloway made it clear prefight that Tyson was taking the fight personally and intended to punish Evander for something he may or may not have said about not fighting a ******.

Maybe that was the impetus for Holyfield to go "F*ck it! If you wanna play that game let's go Mike...forgive me Lord". Tyson was beaten in the rough housing and the actual fighting both fights and lost his sh1t.

I'll bet Evander watches fight one and thinks "I really took your heart here punk".

8. Golden_Feather99

Apr 23, 2019
    If Tyson didn't hit Evander after the bell, do you think Evander would've kept his head to himself? Because Tyson didn't hit him after the bell the second time around, but Evander still used his head illegally (to strike Tyson's head).

Happy new year! Take a day off for ****s sake.

Sangria likes this.
  9. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    You can go through all the intricacies as much as you like but the cut was accidental.

I see how you don't comment on the fact that in the first fight Tyson lunged in with his head and cried like a girl when he came off second best.

10. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    Who knows?

The terms were set in the first fight imo It was going to be rough and hard and Evander was better at that style than Tyson. Why change a winning formula?

Happy New Year's to you too. I enjoy your posts as they're always well thought out and presented even when I disagree with them. Such as this one lol

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    Golden_Feather99 likes this.
  11. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    Even the mythical unbeatable prime version of Tyson had his mental fragilities, I can think of a few times when he did silly things like pulling his tongue out or hitting after the bell.

All these little stunts were born out of frustration, the truth is Tyson was never the strongest mentally.

12. Brockton Blockbuster

Brockton Blockbuster Credit where its due banned Full Member

Dec 26, 2019
    This content is protected

Sour grapes aside, Atlas knew the man better than almost anybody.

Wass1985 likes this.
  13. rski

rski Well-Known Member Full Member

May 12, 2013
    Tyson wasn’t getting the upper hand so he threw his toys out of his pram, he wanted out. that’s the way I saw it then and its the way I see it now. that night was so disappointing, Holyfield spooked him. Its difficult to defend Mike. he even says himself if you catch some of his interviews, he was frustrated. By then he was done anyway, his fighting mentality was warped and he was a con man by 97. as a fan its difficult to face this but that’s life I guess.

14. Golden_Feather99

Apr 23, 2019
    That wasn't the only fight where Holyfield butted people.

"Tyson butted the hell out of fighters throughout his prime too but you won't hear us whining about that." Name all the fights where he butted people. There's a reason Tyson was the one getting "little cuts" from the headbutts. Because he was the one getting butted. Holyfield was an organized cheater.

Just because your opponent was on steroids in his previous fights, doesn't mean it's okay for you to take steroids against him. Common sense mate.

"little cuts" lol. You think that's all headbutts do? How are you the one telling people to "accept reality"?

You call Tyson fans "moronic fan boys" who can't accept reality. Why don't you acknowledge the butts and the low blows? You keep making excuses for Holyfield. He has a history of butting people and hitting them with low blows. Why do you bring up Tyson's other fights to justify what happened against Holyfield? You're not willing to accept the reality either. You said that Tyson didn't live up to his tough guy image and he punked out. Did Holyfield live up to his image as a warrior and a saint? In his post-fight interview he says "I live by the spirit of God... Whatever the spirit lead me to do, that's what I will do". So the spirit led him to hGH and headbutts? Don't go around labelling people "fan boys" because you're no better.

Sangria likes this.
  15. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    For all those moronic fanboys crying about Holyfield's headbutting, well here's the video to shut you all up.

Tyson was just as dirty as Holyfield it's just he came up against someone harder and better, stop crying like your hero does here and accept the facts!!

Edit- It just gets better at 1:40 Tyson is asked about the headbutts, his exact words were "He headbutted me but I headbutted him too!"

That's game, set and match right there. Holyfield owned him twice and to try and excuse his biting just shows how bat**** crazy some of his fanatics are.

This content is protected

Unforgiven likes this.