Well done Darren Barker

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by DJA26, May 18, 2013.

1. sjp17

sjp17 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 22, 2011
    I think Barker did the right thing

2. TFFP

TFFP The Eskimo

Nov 28, 2007
    Lets just hope Barker doesn't get pulled out on his big night if he's in danger of getting "seriously hurt" from shots with the potential to cause extreme ear ache and poorly ribs.

3. davidqu

davidqu Member Full Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Would have been different if there was a world title on the line IMO. Don't think he'd have pulled Purdy out

4. jackukmma

jackukmma Active Member Full Member

Jun 12, 2012
    So they let Purdy carry on and he ends up with a ****ed eye like Lebedev did? He wasn't going to win he was only going to take more shots and as he was tiring more chance of long term damage being inflicted. He got his payday move on and live to fight again

5. TFFP

TFFP The Eskimo

Nov 28, 2007
    If he was even 25% of the way towards suffering the extent of swelling Lebedev did, there would be no argument about pulling him out, of course you would. But the worst he had was a busted nose which is part and parcel of most fights, so I don't see the relevance. Its not a matter of letting him go on indefinitely for the 12 rounds, Barker had it within his capability to react dynamically to the situation and the timing was odd.

It just baffles a few of us why he pulled him out at a point where nothing worrying was occurring. I didn't see this chance of getting damaged, by what? Alexander was only throwing his lead hand as a hook, the danger was about as small as you could ever hope in a boxing ring against a top class fighter, and added to that Alexander was injured. I know Purdy had done nothing to exploit the injury or win any rounds, but it wasn't going to get any easier for Alexander with a hurt hand in the later rounds when his speed would drop a little and level the playing field, there was that 1% of hope from the injury (which is about what Purdy entered the ring with anyway) to keep going. And ultimately he could have stopped it at any point where Purdy started getting hit properly again and there would be no issue with that at all.

Honestly, I don't think Barker spotted the injury so it wasn't part of his decision making which is poor in itself considering he's ring side and should be assessing the situation for his fighter at all times, but clearly when we comment on the decision after the fight it has to be in our thinking as a matter of relevance.

6. Claypole

Claypole Boxing Addict banned

Aug 4, 2007
    I understand these were different situations, I was just trying to gauge peoples' opinions on when's right to pull a fighter out. I wasn't happy when Purdey got pulled out, but in hindsight I'm not sure what else Barker could have done. I thought he had no chance whatsoever of turning the fight around. Trying to last the distance out of pride is something that fighters like to do, and I can appreciate that, but it really wasn't to be Purdey's night.

7. TFFP

TFFP The Eskimo

Nov 28, 2007
    There was a very small chance Purdy could have caused a few issues late, Clay. Maybe not win, but its not just about winning either, there is pride and there is coming out of the overall contest with a little more credit than he's getting now, thats important too. May have been small but I think it was just enough doubt with Alexander's injury to let it go and stop it a more opportune time should that come. I mean if there was one more round like the first few I'd totally agree to stop it, nobody wants to see clean shots in a fight where your chances are down to tiny fractions of just putting a few rounds in the bank.

It seemed like Purdy entered the ring with a tiny chance, so to stop it at a time where a situation came up to give him a chance to pose a few late questions is questionable at best. I mean, if he was weak and getting pushed back or whatever obviously he would have had no chance whatsoever of asking those questions of Devon late so you'd stop it, but I didn't see that, he was still holding middle of the ring and wasn't getting bashed up at the time so adding up all the factors it was kinda like...what, didn't feel right. Didn't make a lot of sense to me, think Darren paniced and showed inexperience.

Clearly Lebedev/Shannon Briggs were just plan and simple wrong, poor cornerwork and refereeing...they are right at the end of that scale that just scream out to be stopped, I think this fight is quite a few levels below that in the "debatable" catergory so we've all got differing opinions which is cool.

8. Claypole

Claypole Boxing Addict banned

Aug 4, 2007
    I agree that Purdey wasn't getting badly beaten up, but Barker wasn't experienced and was really in a tight spot. However, if he didn't notice the hand injury, then I'm not sure what good he could have done for Purdey in the remaining rounds.

9. gasman

gasman Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 16, 2009
    Barker did the right thing. Purdy didnt take a beating, but he had no chance, the fitness wasnt there. You could see from the first round how sluggish and slow his punches were, there was nothing in them.

It doesnt matter if Alexander hurt his left hand, Purdy had nothing to give after six rounds - he had lost every round and he didnt even have a punchers chance, great decision by Barker.

If Purdy had have got a full training camp in him, I'd say Barker would have let him go and he might have had a chance. I wasnt impressed with Alexander, he is nothing special. I'd love to see Brook in with Alexander, if he is 100%, he has a great chance to beat him.

10. glue glove

glue glove Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Surprised with Purdy's tactics, he was a static target, no movement head to toe.

I really thought he was just gonna go for it and try to muscle Devon out.

Barker was giving him warnings to up his tempo so Purdy should've listened. Barker is a boxer too and he knew what he was doing.

11. gasman

gasman Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 16, 2009
    He was surviving as long as he could, the fitness wasnt there to support a more aggressive fight plan. He got a massive pay day and took his shot. Its as simple as that.

12. SuspiciousChees

SuspiciousChees Active Member Full Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Give Barker a break, Purdy was being hit by another fighter's fists.

13. Scotty321

Scotty321 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Bit premature imo.

14. SkillspayBills

SkillspayBills Mandanda Running E-Pen Full Member

Oct 3, 2011
    :good

15. TFFP

TFFP The Eskimo

Nov 28, 2007
    I agree Purdy looked a little slow, even by usual standards, although of course that looks horribly apparent next to Alexander.

But I'm not sure its quite fair to say he had nothing to give. I think if that was the case he'd be getting pushed around if he was spent, I look at Alexander when the fight was stopped and he looked a little surprised. I get the impression he had sort of settled down to the fact he's got a tough guy in front of him whos still standing strong, he's thrown his best shots and has a dinged up hand, time to just one hand it til the end. I think he had just started to accept that - then Barker stops it.