What was the hardest punch Ali ever took?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by DavidC77, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Rainer

Rainer Active Member Full Member

May 2, 2019
    I don't know how he remained on his feet in that 11th rd?

robert ungurean likes this.
  2. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Besides the iron jaw and will power those few seconds of conning Joe with his hurt routine did it. Except he was really hurt lol

Rainer likes this.
  3. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    This content is protected

Right at the end you can see Bruno’s cornerman quickly apply the smelling salts as soon as Bruno got to the corner. He had them in his left hand, which was behind Bruno’s back and quickly put them in his right hand and applied the smelling salts. That cornerman was slick and definitely earned his pay that day. He didn’t make it obvious, since smelling salts were most likely illegal or at least frowned upon.

4. Rainer

Rainer Active Member Full Member

May 2, 2019
    Smelling salts have been illegal in British rings since the early 60's I don't see what you see ,the cornerman was Jimmy Tibbs btw

5. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    but he did.

which alternative earth do you mean.

SHADAPBLAD likes this.
  6. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Wasn't Ali starting to beat Cooper when the fight was stopped? I need to watch the fight again.

7. jowcol

jowcol Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    But...consider...that was a 15th round KD and Joe and Muhammad were both equally 'spent'.
    Clay could have survived the 4th against Cooper had he been tagged early in the round but, IMO, that wouldn't be the case.
    Historically it's better that Clay won the fight tho with his growing talent but, had he lost, I don't think his legacy would have suffered.
    The young Clay got nailed, plain and simple!
    He would have been champ w/i a year regardless; many ATG's suffered early career losses.
    But...IMO, Clay would have been stopped by Cooper if that bomb hit him early in the round, if for no other reason, for his clowning tactics prior. Look at him in his corner before round 5, he got up and started walking to...nowhere!!
    IMO Ali is the ATG Heavy.
    But, God bless 'enery, he hit Clay with a bomb he couldn't have recovered from had it come early in the 4th.
    My $0.02
    P.S. After a Great 1st round from Cooper, he was actually leading in the fight when the 5th round bell sounded.

8. DavidC77

DavidC77 Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 30, 2018
    No chance.
    Ali got careless, got knocked down and got straight back up.

The only time Ali was stopped was against a great fighter when he was over the hill, having not fought for over 2 years and debilitated by thyroid medication. At no other time in his career was Ali even on the verge of being stopped.

Cooper would never have stopped Ali.

9. HOUDINI

HOUDINI Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Cooper was a level C fighter. He landed one blow that did damage then Ali cut him to ribbons.

10. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    I thought that was more clear to people than seems here. Ali beat him...and I still think Shavers hit him harder (he was just better at staying on his feet beginning with Foreman).

11. HOUDINI

Aug 18, 2012
    Well...quite simply at the end of the day who did Ali say hit him the hardest? Shavers. If it was Ali’s choice it should be our choice as well. No need for him to lie.

12. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Of course there is, Harry. For someone who’s always boasting about his boxing knowledge and well researched facts, you should know that boxers throughout the ages have always lied about this sort of thing. It’s an ego thing with them. The boxer that they say hit them the hardest predictably almost always turns out to be someone who didn’t knock them down or out but the ones that did knock them down or KOed them is never mentioned. It’s the same when you ask them who their toughest or best opponents were. It’s almost always turns out to be someone they beat not someone who beat them. Like I said it a pride and ego thing with them.

13. HOUDINI

Aug 18, 2012
    Were you hit by any of those blows? No. So the only source that CAN be used is the fighter who was hit by those punches. Like it or not.

14. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    It ain’t a case of just liking it or not, Harry and it’s totally up to anyone that witness it to have the freedom to make up their own mind on what they saw and whether they believe whatever someone said. Are you saying boxers can never lie or make mistakes? Foreman said that he was terrified of Frazier when they fought and his knees were shaking during the prefight staredown. So do you believe him since according to your thinking he’s the only source that CAN be used?

15. HOUDINI

Aug 18, 2012
    No. There is no objective way for anyone to measure the power of blows Ali took. Thus the only source that can answer the question is the man who took those blows himself. If you want to discount his comments that’s fine but all that’s left is complete speculation.