Where would you rate it?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by smithshaun, Apr 17, 2021.

1. smithshaun

smithshaun Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2013
    If bjs pulls off the almost Impossible against Canelo

Where would the victory be regarded in terms of atg british performances and results??

Bigger than fury vs Klitschko?
    Honeygan vs curry ?

Would it be the greatest british performance on away soil ever?

I'm amazed it's actually happening tbh , all the talk from bjs over the years I thought was all bravado but he actually must really fancy doing the job otherwise he wouldnt be doing it for any sum of money. The lad is already a multi multi millionaire with huge pride!!

Are we about to witness a british performance for the ages???

Glenn McKrory likes this.
  2. kojak

kojak Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    I personally think it's too little too late. BJS looks to have lost a step and he's not really a SMW.

Even though I think Canelo has cherrypicked his way to some titles, he's improved a lot in the last 2 years, 3 years ago you'd of given BJS a really good shot.

He has the skills to do it but I think the time has passed him now.

3. smithshaun

Oct 20, 2013
    But where would you rate it??

nurological and kojak like this.
  4. Tankatron

Tankatron Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 1, 2014
    It certainly would be a huge upset akin to Honeyghan vs Curry and bigger than Fury vs Klit as Fury won by outlanding by 1 or 2 punches per round against a past prime and fading champion.

Canelo is absolutely prime, on a great run and is rock solid at SMW whereas BJS has been inactive and fighting a who's who of who's, has beens and never was's.

BJS has to emulate the Lemieaux performance and increase the offensive output considerably to have even a sniff at winning and I think that level of performance is beyond him now.

5. smithshaun

Oct 20, 2013
    Yeah I cant disagree with any of what you have said, canelo has been beaten though lets be honest .

I dont really count Mayweather as that was so long ago and he is a better fighter now but golovkin beat him handily first fight second fight was a draw.

I think saunders is already in career best condition, if he can move for 12 rounds you never know, I dont think Canelo stops him though.

He couldn't stop smith with one arm so maybe his power at smw isn't as big as we think.

Ok im clutching.......

Holler and ButeTheBeast like this.
  6. Skyver

Skyver Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 29, 2015
    If he knocks out Canelo(he's going to need too) it would be the greatest performance ever.but it's a pipe dream let's be honest.he is not in canelo's league.

7. ButeTheBeast

ButeTheBeast Well-Known Member Full Member

May 27, 2012
    Nowhere near Turpin's win over SRR.

Canelo isn't a 1/3 of the fighter SRR was.

8. Coybig

Coybig Member Full Member

Feb 22, 2020
    BJS could've pulled it off years ago, his lifestyle and inactivity has killed any chance imo. He has the skillset but will gas out eventually.

9. kojak

Apr 22, 2012
    Somewhere around the Fury - Klitschko level imo, based on he has the ability, but actually putting it into play against a P4P operator will be difficult.

10. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    This would be the biggest shock since Rice Pudding Ruiz Jnr took out Tony Dosh PPV.

It would be right up there with any of the greatest wins abroad by any of our fighters in modern times.

11. Guru88

Guru88 Active Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2020
    Ruiz splattering AJ wasn’t that big of a shock to me, he’s always been vulnerable and heavyweight upsets are much more common. This would be a bigger shock but only because Saunders needs to knock Canelo out, with fair judging I would give him a decent chance, he is the dogs bollocks when he turns up

Glenn McKrory, Cookiedough and Jurgen like this.
  12. Noel857

Noel857 I Am Duran Full Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Not as big as Lloyds and Randys wins

13. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    I was a fan of Saunders (in the ring) for years but the lad is a clown and total waste of talent. Saunders has shown nothing in the last couple of years that he can work solidly over 12 rounds. He takes rounds off, and Canelo simply doesn't. In fact, he seems to get stronger as the fight goes on. Added to that, he's a better boxer than BJS, has more experience, better ring IQ, more hurtful, more durable...he's better than Saunders in every department now.

3 years ago it would have been very interesting but when you need to take rounds off to get a rest against a retired Martin Murray it doesn't bode well. It's a 9-3 kind of fight or even a stoppage.

14. sniffmybadger

sniffmybadger Relationships are not my forte Full Member

Jan 20, 2010
    The only chance he has, is if he's been hitting that Ingle gym nose spray. Even then, I don't think it's as potent as those Mexican Big Mac's

Glenn McKrory likes this.
  15. kojak

Apr 22, 2012
    BJS last decent performance was at MW against Lemieux.

Since then he got Adamu wheeled out to fight him, he got hurt when he picked up the strap, was seriously struggling against Coceres until he landed the KO and looked distinctively average for him against a shot Martin Murray coming out of retirement.

I hope he makes my prediction look stupid but I think Canelo should stop him. I see this fight as BJS retirement fund, does anyone really see him carrying on if he loses this one?

I think he'll retire or at the most aim for a rematch against Eubank if he generates money.