Who can stop Mike Mccallum?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by thurmanthegoat1, Jul 19, 2017.

1. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    that is just talk. Tommy could knock out Mike if he wanted to or he could outbox him. Ray wanted to brawl with Tommy in 1981 and Tommy boxed. I don't know what you are talking about. Benitez came at Tommy, who hurt his hand and Tommy boxed. Olajide even came at Tommy after he was knocked down and Tommy stayed away. Tommy was a greater fighter than Mike, who had some good wins against a rather tired Curry and then lost to Kalambay the next fight. Mike used to be underrated, but today he is overrated.

2. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    I doubt Hearns could knock him out. McCallum had a great chin. He shook off Julian Jackson's punches. Hearns had to go the distance with a myriad of guys who had good chins. Minchilo even took him the distance. I see Hearns building a lead then McCallum catching up to him in the late rounds and stopping Tommy Late. Sure, Hearns could outbox him for stretches, but McCallum had the better chin, defense and stamina.

3. BundiniBlack

BundiniBlack Well-Known Member Full Member

May 20, 2015
    You don't know what you're talking about. Leonard wanted to box Hearns and was getting beat up then when Leonard decided he had to brawl they brawled and Hearns chin couldn't hold up.

McCallum beats Hearns 10/10. The fight goes the same way every time. It's a brawl and McCallum's can take Hearns best shots but Hearns can't take McCallums best shots. End of story.

4. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Southside Slugger Full Member

Dec 30, 2005
    If McCallum is up for the fight he's not getting knocked out, period. There's a lot of guys who would beat Mike over the 12/15 rounds but stopping him, I just can't see it in his prime.

5. Jamal Perkins

Jamal Perkins Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Based on what sir? The sparring videos u cant really base anything on but i saw tommy edging them.

Hell a shot curry was outboxing and hurting mccallum...kalambay got on his bike and mccallum could only follow.......tommy is much faster of foot and hand than sumbu and had more of a deterrent in power..

I can only see tommy beating mccallum either by boxing at distance or standing there like with hill ....tommy was a better body puncher and fought and beat a higher calibre than the other all time great mccallum who barely sneaked past a herol graham.

Hes much faster and hits harder and nobody...i mean nobody ever outboxed hearns in his career.....not SRL,Benitez, or Hill....all his losses were when he was outbrawled

6. BundiniBlack

May 20, 2015
    Lol Hearns doesn't have faster feet than Kalambay. Lol at Curry being shot when McCallum beat him. Lol at Hearns having better wins than Mccallum.

Anyway you proved my point. Hearns was never outboxed but he also never could resist a brawl and against McCallum Hearns would NEVER win in a brawl.

7. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Fair post. I'd favor Hearns, Benitez, SRL and Hagler over Mike but he might decision Duran. Be an interesting fight that one.

Jamal Perkins likes this.
  8. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    Thomas was faster at 154 and could knock out Mike, as much as people say he could not. Tommy would box him and swell him up.. Mike lost rather easily the first time to Kalambay.

9. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    Hearns was taller and faster, and beat better guys than Mike ever did. I think that explains it.

10. BundiniBlack

May 20, 2015
    lol McCallum fought bigger punchers than Hearns and never came close to getting stopped.

11. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    that is talk. Hearns beat better fighters even at 175.. Mike would have never beaten Virgil, who moved and Mike could not fight moving.. Mike was open to jabs, and never fought someone with Hearns jab. Mike was not Ray Leonard who was fast in 1981, and when Hearns brawled Ray later he knocked him down two times. Tommy always hurt the guys he fought. Mike was underrated when he was younger, but is overrated now. He still lost to many of the top guys he fought. No matter what.

12. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Did anyone south of 175 ever even drop him?

13. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    I think you may be a bit biased towards Hearns

McCallum was never stopped in his career and never even badly staggered.

Hearns was a big puncher at 154 lbs but even there his record indicates elite guys could last the distance against him, and even a non-elite, but resilent guy, like Luigi Minchillo easily lasted the distance.

Tommy being a "greater fighter than Mike" has no bearing on whether Hearns could stop him.

The statement "Tommy could knock out Mike if he wanted to" is simply unsupportable.

14. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    you cannot say he fought bigger punchers than Hearns. Jackson he was rocked and ended it before he was hit again.. Who are these huge punchers? Curry rocked him and he didn't punch harder than Hearns.

15. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    saying Tommy cannot stop him is also not respecting a guy who knocked out 30 out of 32 guys. and later was a better fighter at 154. Many people talk about the post Hagler -hearns