Who does Spence remind you of?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Flo_Raiden, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Flo_Raiden

Flo_Raiden Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2010
    What fighters of the past does Spence’s boxing style remind you of?
    He’s starting to become more like Hagler/Chavez hybrid. Not bad. Just needs to finally fight someone of quality but I’m starting to appreciate this guy more. Although I still think Crawford will give him some trouble if they were to fight.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    Hanz Cholo likes this.
  2. TheyDontHavDaP4PNo1NoMore

TheyDontHavDaP4PNo1NoMore Member banned Full Member

Jun 13, 2018
  3. blackbolt396

blackbolt396 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 13, 2012
    No.

4. rhin0z>

rhin0z> Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 13, 2014
    he reminds me of big george forman who Ali called the robot for telegraphing punches

dougemerypm and titanic like this.
  5. J Jones

J Jones Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2017
    He reminds me of Mike Jones. Big for the weight, pitbull mentality, and not terribly hard to hit.

Ph33rknot likes this.
  6. pistal47

pistal47 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Absolutely heinous comparison. You're the Andrew Hartley of general forum posting.

mark ant, gogeta, Manfred and 4 others like this.
  7. pistal47

pistal47 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2007
    I can see a resemblance to many past fighters in different aspects of his boxing. Someone mentioned a Mike McCallum reference to him in an earlier thread today. I like that shout a lot.

8. blackbolt396

blackbolt396 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 13, 2012
    I concur.

pistal47 likes this.
  9. exumspate

exumspate Well-Known Member Full Member

May 6, 2010
    A little bit of Michael Nunn

RacingBeat likes this.
  10. WhataRock

WhataRock VIP Member Full Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Marvin Johnson came to mind.

Though with a disappointing lack of facial hair.

George Crowcroft and Reinhardt like this.
  11. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    nobody before him has combined his commitment to body punching, with his world class athleticism, unusual power and strength, and complete focus on becoming the best fighter out there. he body punches like chavez, pressures like pryor at a pace like sanchez, strong like hagler, and dedicated like floyd. 3 years from now fans will better understand how good this guy is right now.

12. Braindamage

Braindamage Baby Face Beast Full Member

Oct 1, 2011
    I think he needs to tighten up that D! If he does that, he will be an even bigger terror. If he learns to work his offense from his defense, counter, catch and shoot etc. He would be damn near unstoppable.

13. RingKing75

RingKing75 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Dec 23, 2013
    He referred to himself as the body snatcher which was McCallums moniker. Nobody wouldve made the comparison if not for him saying that. people are so full of it on here.

Brujo and Pimp C like this.
  14. Cableaddict

Cableaddict Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 15, 2011
    I can't think of a single past fighter with that exact style. Esp not a southpaw.

There's a lot of prime Golovkin in him, with the relentless pressure, and the standing in the pocket, firing while under fire himself, and subtle (some might say lacking) defensive movement. And yet he actually moves completely differently.

Got some Rocky Marciano in him, too. Again, the pressure, the pit bull attitude. But Spence seem more cerebral & controlled.

Maybe Dimitry Pirog? - Very similar in a lot of ways, though Spence seems a little bit calmer overall. Less wasted energy.
    -------------------------------------

Actually, Spence reminds me a lot of a small version of Bogdan Dinu, but since almost nobody knows who Dinu is, I guess that's a bad shout.

The thing I love about both guys is how they can apply so much pressure, but at the same time waste so little energy. Just a calm, forward focus, controlling a devastating offensive attack.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    sasto and Braindamage like this.
  15. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    He reminds me of a faster, more athletic, harder hitting Winky Wright. He has the southpaw stance, the high guard, the body punching, the pressure style, the jab and sound fundamentals.