Who else would have defeated Tommy Burns on Dec 26th, 1908?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mendoza, Oct 19, 2017.

How many men would have likley defeated Burns in December 1908?

1. 1 man, Just Johnson

8.3%
  2. 2 boxers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3 boxers

16.7%
  4. 4 boxers

25.0%
  5. 5 boxers

8.3%
  6. 6 or more boxers

41.7%
  1. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    As we know Johnson easily defeated the 5' 7 1/2 168 pound Tommy Burns. Burns was initially going to defend against Sam McVey.

Would have Sam Mcvey won? What about Jeannette and Langford?

Could Jeffries have come out of retirement ( assume he has 6 months to train ) to defeat Burns?

How about Fireman Flynn or Al Kaufman?

2. mattdonnellon

mattdonnellon Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Langford, maybe Jeannette amd McVea. Burns was pretty good.

BitPlayerVesti, mcvey and McGrain like this.
  3. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    I'd pick Jeannette and McVey to defat Burns over 20 rounds as both were in their primes by that time, and a notch above Burns.

Burns was pretty good, vs. smaller guys who could punch hard or were not very durable. Good enough to beat and draw with O'Brien, and defeat the Lang's and Squires of the time. Okay, granted, but there is a pretty big gap between his best wins, and who the best 4-5 fighters were in Dec 1908.

So for me there are four would likely defeat Burns in 1908. 5 might be Jeffries.

4. Sting like a bean

Sting like a bean Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Apr 9, 2017
    Burns weighed 178, not 168, but anyway this is impossible to answer. There's no way of having even a tentative idea of how good Burns was or wasn't.

5. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Burns weighed 168.5lbs the day before the fight which was about 2,5lbs less than he had scaled for Bill Squires in their first fight.According to information in Pollack's 1st Vol of his Johnson biography.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  6. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    Burns was just an opportunist getnig a free pass at the title becoc he was whyte, just a sign of the times then. Most really good guys would have whupped him, I am sure.

in a free America, the man would never have won nothing.

Lets not make America like that again, 'scuse me while I take the knee.

mrkoolkevin likes this.
  7. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Not many people.

Sam McVea probably.

Possibly Sandy Ferguson if he had got his act together.

8. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006

Marvin Hart picked Johnson to beat Burns easily, and early.

9. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Burns was born at the right time. Jeffries, Corbett, and Sharkey had retired. Fitzsimons was 45 years old in 1908. Ruhlin past his best.

Burns did not get credit because he was white or attract praise from former champions.

For example, Jeffries considered Burns a blow up middleweight. I never read of any pervious champion giving Burns accolades. While Burns was determined with some skills, he benefited from a very down period of boxing of heavyweight boxing where the best white heavies were retired, and the color line still in play.

Yes, he did fight Johnson, but it took a big purse for Burns to make it happen.

So I agree with you. With no color line, it's hard to see him staying champion for as long as he did. Burns did beat Hart fresh off his win over Root and Johnson. True, but after winning the title from Hart, he avoided the best out there until Johnson thrashed him. Like I said I would favor 5 guys to defeat him on the day he lost the title.

10. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    who cares about credit - I am telling you that if he'd been defending against black challengers instead of running from them, he'd have barely held the title for a minute.

mrkoolkevin likes this.
  11. Birmingham

Birmingham Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Johnson was the only black man that would fight him...They were all scared of Tommy, that's why I respect Jack so much !

12. Mighty Moe

Mighty Moe Member banned Full Member

Oct 15, 2018
    proof of your racism here.

Letseatshitfordinner likes this.
  13. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Burns had already KOed Flynn. Good win over Jack O'Brien too.

I think I'd pick the black Triumvirate, though not quite as strongly as Johnson. Can't think of anyone else I'd pick.

mcvey likes this.
  14. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I get the feeling someone's got it in for Johnson .Don't know why,he's a very important part of boxing history .OK he had his faults ,but show me a fighter that's perfect ..?

15. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    LOL!

I hope he didn't get banned for this nonsense.

SHADAPBLAD likes this.