Who here uses weights in their training?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Boxinglad123, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Boxinglad123

Boxinglad123 Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 9, 2010
    As it sounds, how many use weights? How many completely refuse to use weights? Discuss.

2. scrap

scrap Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 15, 2006
    As in metal, everybody trains with weight its called Gravity. Use to use them before I understood Feel. Now I dont, found better ways 2 kg is the most I use, using metal.

3. wesrman

wesrman New Member Full Member

Jun 18, 2008
    All tools have their place if used correctly.

4. tommygun711

tommygun711 The Future Full Member

Dec 26, 2009
    I think it's okay to use weights as long as you do all the other exercises too. you obviously need to be flexible too.

5. furor celtica

furor celtica Creeping Death Full Member

Jun 26, 2010
    body weight training is always better for boxers cos it coordinates your strength and your weight

6. Boxinglad123

Apr 9, 2010
    When you say bodyweight training do you use exercises such as one handed press-ups and one handed chin-ups? If not then you aren't going to get any stronger.

7. Boxinglad123

Apr 9, 2010
    I think weights are a must. A fighter must be balanced. If all you do is boxing training, running and calisthenics then you wont be a strong fighter. If you only do boxing training and weights you will be a fighter who gasses out quickly. I believe you have to mix everything; weights (heavy and light), calisthenics, running, other fitness such as cycling, core training, and most improtantly skill training and sparring.

8. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    :lol:

9. wayneflint

wayneflint Active Member Full Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Boxing lad i used to be strong in the weight room but i dropped it because i just dont feel it transfers all that well to boxing, you can be big and strong in the weight room but it doesnt mean your going to be strong wrestling on the inside, or throwing your shots, the more i learn the more im understanding technique seems to be the best path to stay on, i think using weights to build strength for a boxing match is a hard thing to do and not as simple as doing some benching, some deadlifts and squats, i think its harder than a lot of people think to actually stimulate the muscles in a way which is going to improve strength that transfers through to boxing and any strength gains that will occur will come along with the extra bulk and weight that comes with weight training which is like 40% non contractile tissues (the bodys support systems that help feed the muscles to sustain further reps but arent actual contractile muscle tissue)so isnt really functional to boxing at all. its even harder to scientifically prove that indeed it is this supplementary training thats made the improvement in strength in the ring as in most cases while this supplementary training is being utilized so is technique training so its hard to pin point if the increase in power is the result of better techique or raw brute strength, i believe i know a man who is on the right track, many say his methods are unconventional but i think this is the way we need to be looking at training because it just doesnt add up to me, who has ever bench pressed or squatted their way to a win in a boxing match?

10. Boxinglad123

Apr 9, 2010
    What made me start weight trianing was buying one of Ross Enamait's books: 'Infinite Intensity'. It showed some of the things he does and I also watched some youtube videos of him, one of him hitting the bag where his speed is incredible. Only now do I consistently train with weights.

11. Boxinglad123

Apr 9, 2010
    Why are you making the assumtion that I am a guy training for extra bulk or to show off an impressive bench press? I train for boxing, there are many weights movements I do aswell as bodyweight movements which increase strength and endurance for boxing. Don't assume that everyone doing weights is a bodybuilder.

12. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
  13. Sprawla

Sprawla Active Member Full Member

Jun 7, 2010
    must use weights

has to be done correctly. our gym has a conditioning coach that comes in, we do specific fighter conditioning,

since i started this i have never looked back, i am stronger and fitter but i havnt put on any weight, if anything i have leaned up more.

train weights for strenght and endurance, not size

14. Sprawla

Sprawla Active Member Full Member

Jun 7, 2010
    weights will not make you slower, it will actually make you quicker and more explosive if trained properly

15. Boxinglad123

Apr 9, 2010
    True stuff. Bodybuilding is useless for boxing, weight training for boxing is good.