Who ruined Mike Tyson?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Boxing2019, May 7, 2021.

Who ruined Tyson?

1. Cus death

15 vote(s)
    15.3%
  2. Don King

26 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. Desiree Washington

6 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. Tokio Douglas

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  5. Evander Holyfield

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Himself

74 vote(s)
    75.5%
  7. His divorces

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Robin Givens

6 vote(s)
    6.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ElCyclon

ElCyclon Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 2, 2012

"deserve"? pun?

2. Boxing2019

Boxing2019 If you want peace, prepare war. Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    It's funny how no one so far thinks that Tokio Douglas and Holyfield have had the slightest influence on Tyson's downfall.

3. Antsu

Antsu Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 5, 2006
    Biggest thing was that its hard to keep your focus when you are in your 20ts and have suddenly everything. He still managed to come back and win two world titles thought. Beat some high level competition in later years of career too

4. Joe.Boxer

Joe.Boxer Chinchecker Full Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Himself, though Cus Tomato probably saved Mike Tyson from a life sentence in prison yet partly created the world class idiot he became. Witnessing all that unspeakable homosexual debauchery during those parties up in that big creepy white house in the catskills as a youth was probably the main reason for Tyson's instability and addictions.

Givens shouldn't even be on the list. HE pursued HER after seeing her on tv, the dumb ****.

Teddy Atlas should've done the world a favour and aimed the gun straight at that juvenile delinquent's head.

5. Babality

Babality KTFO!!!!!!! Full Member

Dec 6, 2008
    This always makes me laugh.

6. 007 373 5963

007 373 5963 Active Member Full Member

May 30, 2020
    Nintendo ruined Tyson by re-releasing Punch Out on the NES with Mr. Dream instead of Tyson. They even authorized Beam Software to work on a sequel which would eventually be released as Power Punch II. It was supposed to star Mike Tyson and the premise was that he would travel the universe boxing aliens. Then at the last minute, in response to Tyson's legal troubles they changed the main character from Mike Tyson to Mark Tyler. That was the beginning of the end.

alangjk likes this.
  7. sdot_thadon

sdot_thadon Active Member Full Member

Jun 6, 2009
  8. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    I think Cus' death had a huge impact, when Cus passed away Tyson started to slowly off the rails, he had nobody around him who he respected enough or maybe even feared enough who he would listen to.

So after Cus passed, Tyson himself made decisions, Tyson has nobody to blame but himself for situati he got himself in to.

Then Don King, once Don sunk his claws in to Tyson, it was over.

I don't blame Givens, I'm not saying she didn't have a negative effect but can you imagine living with that Tyson?

Also they were both young, both in the public eyes, it sounded to me like a crazy, passionate, sometimes volatile relationship.

Both have to take blame there, not just her.

alangjk likes this.
  9. caligula4

caligula4 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 13, 2011
    I'm not saying I would explicitly vote for it, but I'm surprised that the media isn't an option...

So much pressure and so much bite during downfalls. A contributing factor if not his downfall, as is the case with most fame; if not downfall then sell out of ego in most cases

N17 likes this.
  10. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013

Great points.

The Media did seem to build him up then take great pleasure in knocking him down.

caligula4 likes this.
  11. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
    With these kinds of questions about any man's fall from a great height, I have found that "Himself" is usually the correct answer.

12. UFC2020

UFC2020 Active Member Full Member

Sep 15, 2019
    Tyson self destructed, he allowed it all to happen, no one put a gun to his head to fire Rooney and then not to hire him ever again, no one put a gun to his head to cheat on his then wife, to fornicate, to ignore training etc.

Canelo has the same level of fame but is the consummate professional who keeps improving his craft day by day inspite of having a hefty bank balance

13. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
  14. UFC2020

UFC2020 Active Member Full Member

Sep 15, 2019
    Had Cus D Mato been alive. Mark my words, Tyson would have left him. He was a slave to his vices. It was impossible to reign him in with the fame, bank balance he had developed unless someone had imposed a Britney Spears type conservatorship by controlling his access to money and spending

15. Blandman

Blandman Active Member Full Member

Jun 7, 2019
    Patricia Gifford, the Judge who railroaded him.
    Vincent Fuller via don king, the worst most expensive attorney dk could find.
    Cus’ death followed by Jim Jacobs death
    Robbin Givens’ Mom
    Lack of education, youth, nonexistent family attachments, criminal background, $100’s of millions and unlimited potential