Why Do You Believe Floyd Mayweather is TBE?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Gannicus, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Gannicus

Gannicus 2014 Poster of the Year Full Member

Mar 4, 2014
    I am not quiet in my lofty praise for Floyd's abilities, I think he's probably Top 10 of all time in terms of how good he is (overall, Top 40 in terms of greatness).

I have major trouble considering him TBE, though because:

1. We haven't seen him in there with ATG, stylistic threats at-or-near prime. Instead, we have evidence of him facing Castillo and Maidana who were the stylistic threats. IMO he's 2-1-1 in that series.
    Maidana would've beaten a 2007 version of Mayweather IF Maidana didn't make the simple pacing strategy error of punching himself out. Hear me out here - Roberto Garcia told Maidana that he has to land around 100 punches per round to win. Once Maidana had clearly won a round within about a minute and a half of his own work, Maidana carried on going, expending unecessary energy. Maidana has stamina issues anyway, and he could've danced around to secure the point for whatever round he was clearly ahead in, whilst having energy in the latter rounds to keep up the pace. Also, by staying in war, he opened himself up to Mayweather's attacks and had given Mayweather more input for him to adjust.
    In the rematch, Roberto Garcia screwed up AGAIN, but by this time making Maidana stand and fight in the centre of the ring a little more, emphasising more pure boxing which is Mayweather's game.

Because of the nature of Maidana's losses being more basic tactical errors, it wouldn't seem befitting to call Mayweather TBE.
    Also, the JLC fight, there may be proof that Mayweather really did have a torn rotator cuff, but I'm not sure. Mayweather's greatest victory was over Castillo, not any of the others.
    People make fun of Pacquiao for losing to Marquez, but at the end of the day, Pac had an even rivalry with Marquez, who is an ATG, ultimate stylistic threat to Pac.

Who is better, Pac or Floyd? Well Pac is not TBE, and I'd be inclined to think that Floyd is better BUT the evidence doesn't really allow me to make that judgement.

2. Floyd's approach to boxing - Hit and Don't Get Hit - but unfortunately he doesn't 'hit' enough to be able to soundly beat the other TBE level fighters of old i.e a Napoles, Duran, Leonard etc. I've done a pretty basic thread on why Mayweather couldn't possibly beat Duran:
    https://www.boxingforum24.com/threads/roberto-duran-wouldve-schooled-floyd-mayweather-jr-9-3.579618/
    They were all complete fighters, but this is where Floyd lacks.

3. PED era started from mid 40's and there were a larger talent pool, and a focus on skill in the older times. They had the raw PED's and the testing was even worse than even a modern day USADA. The argument 'new timers beat old timers' holds no real weight.

4. No at-or-near prime ATG or even higher, mid, lower mid tier HOF on his resume.

5. My TBE's are RJJ, SRR, Duran, Ali as Clay, Leonard, Hearns, Napoles. They're locks and have proven why they're locks. I don't have to 'suspect' they're TBE level the way I 'suspect' Lomachenko is TBE level.

Outside of these points, Floyd especially at 130 (he wasn't aggressive like his biggest fans want to paint him as, on the basis of a youtube highlight video), was one of the very best ever but it's those factors mentioned which is why I don't feel he can soundly be seen as TBE.

This content is protected

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    Theon and Contro like this.
  2. There Will Be Blood

There Will Be Blood #TheMedicalTeam #750 banned Full Member

Sep 6, 2016
    I don't (especially since we all now know that he's a drug cheat).

3. MVC!

MVC! The Best Ever Full Member

Nov 5, 2013
    One of the worst writeups ever, everything wrong, everything biased. Floyd would smash Pacquiao, and he already did.

Pimp C and toxedo911 like this.
  4. Gannicus

Gannicus 2014 Poster of the Year Full Member

Mar 4, 2014
    You haven't even read it you notorious *****. 'Floyd would smash Pacquiao, and already did' is not a comment one would make from reading what I wrote.

5. MVC!

Nov 5, 2013
    The fact is the fact, he already smashed a primed up Pacquiao who went on to beat some very tough WW's. He also ranks much higher than pacquiao, and that's a fact!!

most aficionados, historians, experts have it as such!

Pimp C likes this.
  6. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    I will NEVER class Mayweather anywhere near an ATG let alone TBE Yes he had incredible boxing talents maybe capable of that But, He chose the path of least resistance. He cheated to gain success & because he was Vegas cash cow the state commission let him get away with it & even unsuccessfully tried to cover for him. A cheater cannot ever be classed an ATG they should be banned from the sport.
    This is my own personal opinion take it or leave it

Flexb likes this.
  7. BoboFett

BoboFett Member Full Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Prime Pacquiao? Really? When people were asking you why Floyd is not fighting him you called him a knocked out bum, but now he's prime?

8. MVC!

Nov 5, 2013
    First of all, he ran away in 2009 when the split was even.

Secondly, he didn't do any testing or wanted to do any sort of testing until 2012 and even then, he didn't want to do much testing.

Then he agrees to Floyd's test requests many years after?

LMFAO

The only thing Pac was is a fueled up PED CHEAT.

nickpoppunk and Pimp C like this.
  9. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    LOL MVC is a troll End of story

Gannicus likes this.
  10. MVC!

Nov 5, 2013
    Pacquiao is a fueled up PED cheater, that's a fact!!

Already confirmed and proven!

11. BoboFett

Dec 10, 2016
    Hmm, I can say the same about Floyd with his IV then, glad you just stated that rumors are all one needs to make a story true.

12. BoboFett

Dec 10, 2016
    How was it confirmed? And you still haven't answered how Pacquiao was prime when he fought Floyd.

Take your time.

Gannicus likes this.
  13. Flexb

Flexb Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Someone please ban this kid.

Gannicus likes this.
  14. MVC!

Nov 5, 2013
    Wrong, NOTHING CAME OUT OF THE IV, it was for dehydration purposes, supervised by experts. NIce try.

The only thign we know is that Pacquiao was caught on that juice, his team admitted it ROFL!

nickpoppunk likes this.
  15. BoboFett

Dec 10, 2016
    Umm there was liquid in that IV, helping to mask and dilute the PEDs in his system.

See I can do it too!!!