Why does lifting weights do nothing for a fighter?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by tinman, Mar 19, 2019.

1. BoxingPurest

BoxingPurest Active Member Full Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Bruce lee what in the world lol thats an actor. Those guys were fighters, anyways I believe your trolling me lol. George Foreman came back at 40 plus to take the title from modern champs the same man who got stopped by Ali in his prime. Reality! lol

tinman likes this.
  2. Aydamn

Aydamn Dillian Da Dissappointment Full Member

Jul 31, 2018
    I don't know about good, but yeah he would be a light heavy if not a super middle.

Point is, there is a drastic difference between him and Joshua as opposition for Mo Ali.... Joshua is is been underestimated big time.

If you stood Henry next to Joshua you would laugh your arse off.

Pat M likes this.
  3. Furious

Furious Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Don't agree - you can't discredit sports science just because in your opinion it's not true. If it wasn't useful, why do top boxers invest thousands in their methods? Sounds like, in your opinion, 'bro science' > sports science which is just ridiculous.

Brighton bomber and dealt_with like this.
  4. LeeD1982

LeeD1982 Active Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2019
    Agreed that today's Boxers would crush the boxers of yesteryear on size and conditioning alone.

But give someone like Cooper (a small man with a left hand like a sledgehammer) the training and conditioning of today and he could be a monster.

It works both ways. Ole Henry was a probably a pro boxer on a diet of potatoes and warm beer, and could still bang and go 15 rounds.

The guys of yesteryear had incredible talent and toughness, given their circumstances.

To turn this around, I'd like to see some of today's gym-made fighters graduate through the ranks of bare knuckle with inadequate nutrition.

Be like expecting Baby Miller to go a week without an 18 inch pizza

It's Ovah and Brixton Bomber like this.
  5. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Who do you guys rate as top S&C coaches these days?

6. bluebird

bluebird Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 17, 2009
    Every boxer lifts some form of weights otherwise they'd be a string bean.

7. emallini

emallini Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 16, 2008
  8. bruce_keyes

bruce_keyes Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 9, 2008
    "Lifting weights" is an absurdly broad and vague term. There is bodybuilding, powerlifting, strength training etc... Lifting weights in a special program to help with "explosive power" will definitely help a fighter. Fedor, for example, lifted weights, but he did the exercises that gave him explosive power, not to be low bodyfat with huge muscles. huge difference

9. ForemanJab

ForemanJab Deus Vult Full Member

May 8, 2014
    An individual's body type isn't always a good indicator of how physically strong they are. There's a lot of gym bros with jacked physiques who aren't really that strong and others who, if you didn't know better, would think never lifted but are very powerful. There's also going to be differences based on the type of training, a guy who does 20 rep curls and BB split training may have more muscle hypertrophy but be weaker than if they focused their training on the basic compound movements.

It's Ovah and bruce_keyes like this.
  10. dealt_with

dealt_with Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Claims everyone else doesn’t understand when he doesn’t understand. What you’re talking about is RFD. Something that is drastically improved by lifting weights. That’s different than max strength at slow velocities, but improving that max strength also improves force at high velocities. Your problem isn’t just your lack of intelligence, but your arrogance that keeps you ignorant.

11. dealt_with

Apr 27, 2012
    He’s extremely explosive (fast twitch dominant) and he has excellent leverage (creates impulse).

12. dealt_with

Apr 27, 2012
    Your problem is that you conflate muscle size with muscle strength and power. You’re really clueless, so why are you even talking about this?

13. dealt_with

Apr 27, 2012
    Or your lack of understanding. You’re not someone who thinks for them self, you’re somebody who doesn’t/can’t think.

14. dealt_with

Apr 27, 2012
    I didn’t think that you moron, I said that you think technique is everything. You can’t even read.

15. dealt_with

Apr 27, 2012
    I agree that there are diminishing returns, definitely. Your claim that it isn’t helping them is absurd, you don’t have a clone for a control, and basic physics and a wealth of research would suggest that they would definitely be worse off without getting stronger.