Why does this nonsense about Josh Kelly ducking David Avaseyen get entertained ?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Optimus Grime, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Optimus Grime

Optimus Grime Member Full Member

Feb 12, 2014
    honestly think about what your saying and believing ?

A professional boxer with an extensive amateur record (fighting the best in the world) went through a whole training camp to pull out because he got scared the other guy was in good shape ?

And this is based off some mysterious “my mate saw him in the hotel running around” comment.

It’s ludicrous.

2. BigStiffIdiot

BigStiffIdiot Safer than Adam Smith's laptop password. Full Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Yeah it is all bull****. You only have to look how wound up he gets in that IFL interview to see he isn't lying.

3. Smudge_

Smudge_ Teak tough Full Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I'm calling it a duck because I don't believe he took ill. I think maybe they just had second thoughts, maybe they had problems in camp, struggled making the weight or whatever and Adam Booth has decided to pull him from the fight because he was just wasn't at his best.

I'm only speculating of course, but him getting not well just before the fight, just sounds bogus. Obviously everybody in Team Kelly expect, or demand big things from him and his career will be carefully planned out while he's still working his way up and losing to David Avenesyan is definitely not in they plans. Maybe there was a shred of doubt about the result and they've acted.

CutThroatFade and Fhaggis like this.
  4. anjawnaymiz

anjawnaymiz Can we get Ivan Dychko some momentum Full Member

Sep 6, 2008
    He looked like crap at the weigh in tbh

5. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    From what I can gather, he was struggling with the weight and they didn't want to risk going in with weight issues against someone as capable as David A. I saw who I believe to be someone involved in Ava's camp today suggesting the fight isn't being rescheduled, which does give some credence to the idea that they had a change of heart. But it's academical really, both sides will claim the other is lying. What'll be most telling is what each fighter moves on to do next.

If Kelly fights someone kinda garbage again then it doesn't build a strong case for him. If he sticks at the same level as Ava, then he can have a pass (but suggests to me that his team ****ed the weight up)

CutThroatFade and Sphillips like this.
  6. Beez

Beez Active Member Full Member

May 11, 2017
    Because it’s all Matchroom and Eddie Hearns fault!

7. mstar

mstar Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 5, 2005
    I do not believe is a duck. Well here are the facts

1. Post weigh-in, booth was running around trying to reduce it to a 8 or 10 rounder (i believe earlier too). BBoC declined it. Both fighters passed to fight medicals.
    2. Fight day Booth attends the 12-1pm pre-fight rules/referee and boxing gloves meeting. He attended and took gloves inspected by DA team and ran out back to hotel. 2-3pm him and Kelly leave the hotel and press release say its off. Why attend the rules meeting hoping kelly be ok <1hr later and call the fight off? Fans staying in the hotel mentioned he was running through the lobby and into the car outside didn't look particularly ill (well you cant tell TBH). Its on twitter they mentioned it.
    3. DA team mentioned on podcast they got told later (next day) that Kellys team where asking/trying to contact DA sparring partners on the low down how DA was looking (believe what you want about this)

8. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    If it quacks and all that.

velagod and CutThroatFade like this.
  9. Journey Man

Journey Man Journeyman always. Full Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Why have you made a separate thread about this? Did I upset you by saying I thought he backed out?

All the evidence points to him doing that, and the rumours that he may be moving up only support it.

So what if he was angry when asked about it? How many people are angry with denial on their way to the courtroom, before being found guilty?

mstar likes this.
  10. Smudge_

Jan 23, 2018
    Avenesyan is fighting Lejarraga next. Over to you Josh Kelly ...

Davepompeydave likes this.
  11. PaddyGarcia

Feb 13, 2014
    Booth just said he's staying at the same weight.

Does look a little like a duck at this stage...let's see who he fights next anyway

12. Smudge_

Jan 23, 2018
    Even if he fights somebody good next, he's ducked Avenesyan, plain and simple.

CutThroatFade likes this.
  13. Inglis_1

Inglis_1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Certainly looks that way. Back to domestic opposition it is then for Kelly I guess? It's not a bad thing and he's only 8 fights into his pro career, but maybe his team shouldn't go calling out big names if they know he's not ready yet.

14. PaddyGarcia

Feb 13, 2014
    Neil Marsh's Twitter is the place to be for this

CutThroatFade likes this.
  15. mstar

mstar Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 5, 2005
    He will not find DA yet I think they realised it's to much of a high risk fight. Guaranteed.