Why doesn't Deontay Wilder have major commercial endorsements like Joshua has?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by tommyg6, Mar 25, 2019.

1. de Morhalle

de Morhalle Member Full Member

Dec 1, 2018
    Joshua is a lot more calmer , financially approachable and more willing to work in that capacity , look at Joshua's conduct throughout the 2012 Olympics . He was and still is celebrated , beloved and cheered for not only as a HW Champion or Olympic Gold Medalist but also a stern , forthright and dedicated British Boxer . Someone with those attributes is certainly easily marketable and easily approachable .

To be fair to Wilder he has some of those attributes too , problem is the people or rather the market of the US never really noticed him until they needed someone to square off to Joshua (USA VS the world thing) and Wilder does not impress as much as AJ in terms of conduct , boxing ability and attitude .

Wilder and the promotion of Wilder is not one of love or pride in the American it's simply one of US reaction to something they see as a threat . Remember Lewis and Grant . This is the impression I have anyway and I kinda feel sorry for Wilder .

2. deadACE

deadACE Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 13, 2014
    What you on about?

red_roo likes this.
  3. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Can't be bothered using Google and you said that you knew what endorsements he had outside the UK so just thought you would help out a brother here?

4. shza

shza Active Member Full Member

Dec 15, 2018
    My guess would be that A) boxing isn't marketable in the US, and B) his agents and handlers aren't actively looking for these opportunities (the money don't make itself)...I find it hard to believe that his pro-wrestling heel persona isn't marketable, as we eat that **** up over here. At the very least he should be shilling energy drinks or supplements.

Hilariously, when I googled "Deontay Wilder" + "sponsors," I found one for Everlast (makes sense) and what looks to be a social networking site in which you can sign up to sponsor him... https://opensponsorship.com/boxing/deontay-wilder

The spiel actually reads like he wrote it himself (which would explain the lack of sponsors):
    WHY YOU SHOULD SPONSOR ME? Deontay is very charming when it comes to things that's close to his heart. Deontay can speak to individuals from all faucets of life. He will be a great ambassador to any brands simply because he has the reach. For over 20 years there hasn't been an american heavyweight champ for a very long time and he's looking to make America that heavyweight champ that it's so accustomed for them to be. This and having the american people behind him is why brands should get involved.

5. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    AJ and Tyson had/have more charisma, Wilder doesn`t come across well in interviews.

6. deadACE

Apr 13, 2014
    Where did I say that? Brother

7. de Morhalle

Dec 1, 2018
    Well Under Armor for one .

8. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Frank Bruno was an endorsement KING in the UK during his day. Larry Holmes wasn't the spokesman for anything. Bruno had tens of thousands of people turn out for his fights with guys like Bugner and Witherspoon. Holmes had like 5,000 people show up for his title fights against guys like Norton and Shavers.

Not quite sure what any of this has to do with who the superior fighter is.

Hell, boxer Mike Lee had a SUBWAY commercial deal. Floyd Mayweather didn't have any.

Good for Joshua. But guys don't get in the Hall of Fame based on how many commercials they made.

Southpawswitch and de Morhalle like this.
  9. de Morhalle

Dec 1, 2018
    Beats by Dre .

10. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    In general I think there are sports today which are bigger than boxing, and boxers in general are not getting the endorsements.

11. de Morhalle

Dec 1, 2018
    Altitude Mask .

12. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Bundy had more charisma than Wilder has, the ladies went nuts over him.

BoxingPurest likes this.
  13. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    There's no market he can't tap into.

14. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Tuscaloosa Pest Control sponsor him but you can't go round saying stuff like you want a live body on your record and expect to get major endorsements.

15. deadACE

Apr 13, 2014
    I seem to remember Anthony Ogogo doing a subway advert after the Olympics too.

I agree with you. How anyone makes a living has nothing to do with me. Only reason I responded was that Wilder seemed to be called out, when in reality the majority of boxers don't have the opportunity to work with non sports companies for advertising or endorsements.

red_roo likes this.