Whyte vs. Wilder or AJ vs. Wilder

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Saintpat, Nov 5, 2017.

Which fight would you rather see?

1. Dillian Whyte vs. Deontay Wilder

13 vote(s)
    22.0%
  2. Anthony Joshua vs. Deontay Wilder

46 vote(s)
    78.0%
  1. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Posted this in the General Forum, but wanted to get the UK point of view:

Eddie Hearn must be some kind of Svengali — he’s managed to convince the boxing fandom public that Deontay Wilder vs. Dillian Whyte is the “must see” fight instead of Wilder vs. AJ.

Personally, I’d like to see a unification between the two champs.

Whyte beat a guy that Johann Duhaupas knocked out, only not as impressively. He won — and some question whether he deserved the verdict — a split against shopworn journeyman Chisora.

And that’s it. He has nothing on his resume that says “this guy DESERVES a title shot.” If he did, why hasn’t Hearn signed a rematch with AJ if the guy is all that?

AJ and Wilder are the sport’s two most high-profile, most viable heavyweights. Both just got mandatories out of the way and have nothing to prevent them from fighting in the spring.

So if you got to choose who Wilder fights next, would you pick AJ or Whyte? And why would you pick the one you did?

2. micker1

micker1 Member Full Member

May 31, 2010
    Wilder v aj in the Sumner though. It should be at Wembley as well. If sky can't sell aj v wilder with there records, then they are in the wrong business. I think they should put them on the same card in Vegas in March. really get everyone talking. Wilder v brezeale and aj v Miller.

Saintpat likes this.
  3. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Wilder v Joshua and it' not even a discussion imo
    The sky/matchroom hype machine has been in full swing to make people think Wilder is scared of Whyte.
    Just make the AJ fight ffs! We all want to see it

Suspect.chin likes this.
  4. bailey

bailey VIP Member Full Member

Dec 11, 2009
    This content is protected

No rush.
    Wilder has had nearly 40 fights and not fought at the same level as Joshua, so I can understand why fans would like to see Wilder in a big fight but Joshua has only had around 20 fights and his next fight if it is Pulev would arguably be a greater opponent then any Wilder has faced.

If Wilder got a win over Parker, Whyte, Pulev (before AJ), Martin possibly Breazeale it may build it up to a bigger event?
    Joshua has beaten 3 of those fighters and may be facing a 4th so I would guess if Wilder and Parker fought it might build the fight as Parker has fought in the UK

I think it would make for a bigger event I think if Wilder gets a win over a big name first.

Gatekeeper likes this.
  5. liger1992

liger1992 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Whyte v Wilder. Wilder needs to fight a better level of opposition he has done before AJ.

6. BoxingNL

BoxingNL Dutch P4P Champion Full Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Please not Whyte, his match against Helnius was terrible.
    Make it Wilder vs Breazeale. Breazeale did better against Joshua then most people expected.
    Breazeale is easy to hit, but can punch back.

Suspect.chin likes this.
  7. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Apart from durable Punchbag Takam and Wlad, the rest of AJ's opponents are no hoper puddings.

It is time for both to get in the ring with the winner unifying the Heavyweight Division titles v Parker.

8. Ty577

Ty577 Member banned Full Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Why does Parker get to sit back and not take part in any big fights.Why dosent he go for Wilder,Fury instead of fighting the smaller brother and waiting for AJ to Secure his financial future.

9. liger1992

liger1992 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 29, 2015
    AJ has had less than 20 fights. There isn't a HW alive who would of fought Vlad after 17 fights.

Gatekeeper likes this.
  10. murphman22

murphman22 Active Member Full Member

Jul 26, 2004
    This Whyte v Wilder stuff is absolute nonsense and the brainchild of only Eddie Hearn. I can only think because it milks another PPV and either way he has the follow up PPV with the winner v Joshua. I have literally no idea what the splits would be but its fair to say Joshua should probably get more (even 65/35 would comfortably be Wilder's biggest payday).

Wilder has gone on worldwide tv and called Joshua out, Joshua should be telling Hearn to make it. Not a fan of Joshua at all but I can't see Wilder causing him issues. I also think its a fallacy that Wilder is this monster puncher. Prior to last night Wilder's last 5 fights had gone 12/9/11/9/8/5 and he was struggling in a few of those. Basically since he has stepped up in level (and lets be honest we are talking to gatekeeper level at best) his power has seemingly diminished. That is what happens in boxing, when you step up so does the competition.

Anyway, credit for calling Joshua out. That is the fight that needs to be made, Hearn will no doubt be on IFL next week talking about Whyte first. Why? Show he can sneak that in and Pulev v Joshua a few weeks later. I can't even see him putting them both on the same bill which would be the go to plan for any other promoter. Disgusting if you ask me.

PaddyGarcia likes this.
  11. Ty577

Aug 13, 2017
    Joshua and Wilder i think they are holding it up as if this gets made we will get a winner and then the Hw divison will become dead again.People are actually talking about the Divison again mostly down due to Joshua.But Wilder being their as a American has helped.I would rather see AJ Parker in March,then Whyte Wilder in Febuary,then AJ Wilder in the Summer,then if AJ wins,Fury AJ in the Winter in a British Dustup at a indoor stadium.

12. murphman22

murphman22 Active Member Full Member

Jul 26, 2004
    This won't happen. Joshua 100% won't fight Parker next. If Whyte gets Wilder then Joshua will get a tune up. We are not talking early 90s heavyweight boxing, where the top guys fight regularly.

13. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Dull Boy Pakora was down to fight Wlad after 13 fights but Wlad pulled out injured then paid off Pakora to fight Toe Haye

14. Ty577

Aug 13, 2017
    Their is no one else to fight though,Pulev,even Hearn wont be stupid to try that again.Who else is there?Wilder they said summer,Fury not possible.I only see Parker.Haye/Bellew winner what happens if Bellew wins.Haye i think will demand 60/40 when he brings nothing but supreme selling skills.I suspect it will be Parker,70/30 or 65/35 should be enough to get him to the UK.Miller in the US could be feasible.

15. Mr Icaman

Mr Icaman 32-0 WBC Champ, Ring + Lineal HW Champ Full Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Honestly this topic has been beaten to death..

Bottom line if Wilder wants a fight with the cash cow he has to get through the gate keeper... Otherwise Wilder will need to take a 80/20 split like Parker was offered...

Irrelevant who you or I think will win that is what is going to happen or there won't be a cash cow fight.