Wilder-Ruiz is a comical mismatch

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Redbeard7, Nov 7, 2022.

1. lobk

lobk Original ESB Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    No doubt on the out of shape. He couldn't get in shape for the biggest fight of his life in the AJ rematch. Not sure if this would motivate him in coming in better shape. He was in horrible shape for Ortiz too. This version of Ortiz was going down with anything solid landing but Ruiz was so out of shape he couldn't step on the gas to get the old man out of there. But regardless it is an interesting matchup to me. There isn't anything out there for Wilder right now.

sasto likes this.
  2. Redbeard7

Redbeard7 Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 9, 2022
    This is a recurring theme nowadays: when a fighter you have been hating on for years wins, claim the other guy took a dive. I guess Chakhkiev was paid to take a dive against a very green Wilder too.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  3. Redbeard7

Oct 9, 2022
    Ruiz was in the exact same shape (268 lbs) against Ortiz as he was against Joshua when he demolished him and commented that his punch resistance was better at that weight than it was in the 250's. He was 16 lbs heavier (284 lbs) in the Joshua rematch, so it's not comparable. Ruiz was fearful of stepping on the gas because of Ortiz's southpaw counters, and knew that he'd get the decision if the fight was close so he had a strong incentive to be conservative.

4. Redbeard7

Oct 9, 2022
    Most fighters are overbilled in terms of height and Ruiz more than most. Ortiz was listed as being 188cm in the world championships, which would place Andy around 5'11.

Ruiz's relatively slow feet were obvious against Parker, who a much older Chisora was able to walk down and land on more consistently. If Ruiz was not a relatively light puncher (relative to most of the other top 10) then he wouldn't have gone the distance with a litany of journeymen. Bob Arum stated that one of the reasons why Top Rank released Andy was that "he couldn't stop ham and egg guys" and "didn't have a punch".

If Wilder doesn't dominate Ruiz then I'll be wrong but I'm expecting a mismatch.

5. lobk

Jul 19, 2004
    I don’t know where people are getting that adding fat somehow helps punch resistance. Blowing up in weight and going down with lots of water lose can affect punch but this isn’t Ruiz. He is losing blubber. He has 40 lbs around that waist and belly he could easily lose and that ain’t got a thing to do with punch resistance.

I saw a different fight then cause I saw a Ruiz pacing himself and fighting in spurts.

pacas and Entaowed like this.
  6. Redbeard7

Oct 9, 2022
    "I don’t know where people are getting that adding fat somehow helps punch resistance."

Ask James Toney. If they're not very fleet of foot, smaller men need a fat suit to compete at HW. Sumo Ruiz actually owes the success he's had to being obese.

There's also a psychological element: Ruiz believes he can take a better shot when 265-270, so for that reason alone he probably can.

Ruiz has shown a decent engine in the 260's before so I don't see how being the same weight as usual compromised his stamina.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  7. mirkofilipovic

mirkofilipovic ESB Management Full Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Agreed, Wilder is getting sparked in the first round.

pacas likes this.
  8. MorvidusStyle

MorvidusStyle Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2017
    It would be shocking to see Ruiz beat Wilder.
    He would likely have to avoid RH bombs for 12 rounds while being a slow-moving blob creature with less KO power than everyone Wilder has fought the last handful of years.

It would be surprising to even see him avoid being heavily dropped or KO'd by round 5, unless Wilder basically behaves like Ortiz II and stis back not throwing.

A KO1-KO3 is definitely a big possibility.

9. BoxingisBoxing2k22

BoxingisBoxing2k22 New Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2022
    So OP is saying Wilder is World Level if he's going to dominate Ruiz easily whose top 10
    Ruiz has the best win out of them so thats something

Also im glad people are starting to realise styles make fights
    All these compubox stats and "He's lost 3 of his last 5 fights" when they have avenged their loss makes no sense
    Statistics rarely work with boxing

10. BoxingisBoxing2k22

Oct 19, 2022
    Exactly
    Wilder must have brain damage from the 2 Fury beatings and then comes back one tune up and then straight into his 2nd best opponent and people complain

sasto and MidniteProwler like this.
  11. BoxingisBoxing2k22

Oct 19, 2022
    Because it did
    Ruiz said it himself if he came in light like against the Arreola fight Ortiz would have dropped him
    Ruiz took bombs worse than Arreola landed and ate them

pacas likes this.
  12. Hanz Cholo

Hanz Cholo Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 11, 2012
    It is a mismatch
    Ruiz had a better shot against the old Deontay.

this new baptized in fire Deontay2.0
    Should punch a hole through Andy’s Donut Head.

& I’m gonna pay Good money to watch it Live.

13. lobk

Jul 19, 2004

How the hell is adding fat to your body helping absorb punches to your head. That is fat ass Ruiz excuse.

14. BoxingisBoxing2k22

Oct 19, 2022
    Google doesn't explain everything
    So Ruiz comes in light gets rocked by a non puncher then comes in heavy and suddenly his chin is granite again

His body could have been deprived of things hes addicted to plus added weight will help you absorb punches

pacas and sasto like this.
  15. lobk

Jul 19, 2004
    Google what? There is no scientific fact about a human being adding fat that helps head trauma. His chin granite? What granite? He's been dropped at a heavier weight and at 20lbs or so lighter. Ruiz granite chin is a myth.

I give Ruiz a chance against Wilder. One of the few. Coming it heavy sure as hell ain't going to increase that odds of eating Wilder bombs. Ruiz needs to come in lite and use his quick counter to get inside or use his quickness to counter when Wilder throws a lazy jab. Joshua dropped him and if Wilder lands the same punch he sleeps him.

Joe Davies likes this.