Wilder v Mike Tyson (90`s version) who would have won?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Dec 1, 2019.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Take what you feel was Tyson`s best performance during the 90`s and pit him against current Wilder who would have won? I feel Wilder would have knocked out any version of Mike during the 90`s.

lloydturnip likes this.
  2. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Tyson, KO win in the first 2 rounds. Wilder has avoided big punchers his whole career for a reason (his team have no faith in his chin).

3. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    I will take 1991 Tyson who stopped Razor Ruddock in 7 to ice Wilder in 4-5 rounds.

Wilder's best wins were against a 50 year old Cuban. Who lost both times mainly because he gassed due to lack of stamina and age than due to anything that Wilder did.

How would a 1991 Mike Tyson do against a 50 year old Luis Ortiz who gassed against Wilder? I think we know the answer to that one very well.

AdamT, rinsj, Sugar 88 and 3 others like this.
  4. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Wilder wakes up with an icepack on his forehead and wonders how the hell Tyson got past his "old men and bums only" vetting team.

5. Ukansodoff

Ukansodoff Deontay plz stop ducking Joshua. Thank you. Full Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Wilder always wanted a body in the ring? Stepping in with a prime mike tyson? Deontay wilder would of been that body in the ring. Wilder doesn't even want to play with the prime top 10 fighters of this very average heavyweight era let alone the elite fighters from a far more dangerous era.

6. Big Ukrainian

Big Ukrainian Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 10, 2007
    1990-1997 version of Tyson would destroy Wilder. Similar power, but Tyson had incomparably better skills and chin.

Wilder would only have had a decent chance of beating the 1999 version of Tyson that struggled against Francois Botha before landing that huge right hand.

reckless, BCS8, Loudon and 2 others like this.
  7. TheWorstEver(TWE)

TheWorstEver(TWE) Active Member Full Member

Sep 22, 2018
    Any 90's version of Tyson & this fight resembles that fight between Floyd & the MMA guy in Japan.

candlelitekid and lordlosh like this.
  8. kostya by ko

kostya by ko Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2005
    I want to see a thread on Wilder vs a full grown bear. Can we have that next?

For the record ... Wilder KO in the early rounds ... the bear is old and fat, and was brought in on short notice and never got the chance to have a proper training camp.

9. kostya by ko

Feb 18, 2005
    Or the bear takes a dive.

10. On The Money

On The Money Dangerous Journeyman Full Member

Apr 4, 2012
    At least Mike would not be able to reach up and bite off Wilder's ear should he give him any trouble. Good news for Deontay.

candlelitekid and kostya by ko like this.
  11. Dance84

Dance84 Unicorn and seastar land Full Member

Oct 11, 2017
    I'm not gonna be like the idiots above and say

" wilders best win is 50 year old ortiz"

Ill go by it stylistically

I think. Mike Tysons come forward charge and speed is to much for wilder who leaves himself open to long.

Tyson KO 2

12. ertwin

ertwin Active Member Full Member

Aug 2, 2016
    Wilder ko in about 3 rounds.
    Newer athlete= better athlete

you guys=old guys

lloydturnip likes this.
  13. kostya by ko

Feb 18, 2005
    Pre-90s Tyson's peek-a-boo defense would've been a nightmare for Wilder as Tyson came forward. But as I remember it, Tyson became less and less defensive thru the 90s and less and less pragmatic ... headhunting too much. But still strong with combinations ... such as v Ruddock.

Ruddock was a big puncher, but didn't take Mike out in either fights. I guess Ruddock 1 would be the Tyson I would pick. Stylistically, IMO the earlier in the 90s the more likely Tyson would have been properly motivated to devise a specific plan for Wilder and generally stick to it. The later into the 90s it went, the less disciplined Tyson would have been and the more likely he would have been to leave himself open to Wilder through carelessness.

But to be honest ... Wilder's best win is probably Ortiz, who even at 40 is pretty old. So that's fair comment IMO.

When Wilder unifies against a Joshua or Ruiz or someone at the top of their game, then all credit to him and hypotheticals against the likes of Mike Tyson have some merit. Until then, I think people are going to keep making these overly-speculative threads and others like myself are going to keep having a go at him because of his relatively weak (for a 5 year belt holder) opposition to date.

14. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    You would certainly have to favour Mike quite heavily but it would be interesting to see if Tyson could take that right hand of Wilder's, he's punching on a whole new level atm imo.

15. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    "On a whole new level"

What level has he proven his power against again?

Pretty **** poor

If he can ice the likes of AJ, Whyte, Usyk then lets have a conversation. Until then his best win was over a 50 year old cuban on blood pressure medication.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    BCS8 and UniversalPart like this.