Would Buatsi beat Callum Johnson right now?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Who_Necks, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Suspect.chin

Suspect.chin Active Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2017
    Johnson would go through buatsi like a dose of salts in about 6 rounds.

2. micker1

micker1 Member Full Member

May 31, 2010
    Let's see what Johnson has left. He was hit with a big shot in his last fight and nearly went down. The Johnson that fought beterbiev may take a few fights to get back to that level.

Buatsi is building up slowly. I think it's 50-50 at the moment. I wouldn't put money on either with much certainty.

3. Donald Donaldson

Donald Donaldson Member Full Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Buatsi has got a lot to prove in the ring granted. I think he's a real talent and we'll soon find out, but even so Callum Johnson has to be one of the most oddly overrated fighters on the forum.

He's a puncher, a strong come forward fighter who is undoubtedly good to watch because of his style- that's about it. He's one dimensional, one paced, very easy to hit as he only knows one way to fight, 36 in two months and he's had 2 fights in 3 years.

I don't see him fighting for a world title again, and next fight he loses his career is basically over.

4. DoubleJab666

DoubleJab666 Dot, dot, dot... Full Member

Nov 9, 2015
    Sounds like the money wasn't enough, then. It's a legit reason to turn down offers, you know, especially multi-fight ones. Even if the purse for the last fight is decent, the overall package might not have been worth a year of his career in his mid-30s.

A three-fight deal also ages Johnson and gives time for Buatsi to develop - it's almost an admission he's not ready. If the fight is deemed worthy of six-figure pay days to both fighters now - make it now.

And Hearn must have been pretty sure a boxer who chose to leave his promotional umbrella for a bitter rival's wasn't going to take the offer and hand that control back to Matchroom. So it was more likely to do with publicity - get people naively believing Johnson ducked the fight - than a genuine effort to get it done.

Unless of course Hearn made the three-fight offer irresistible. He didn't and it doesn't seem he came back with an improved one either. Smoke and mirrors...