Would Eubank fancy Smith or Groves?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Here's Johnny, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Daydorail

Daydorail Member Full Member

Aug 14, 2015
    CEJ Been outboxed at MW by BJS (who was gassed after 6). Hes too open to face Groves as hed be stopped 100%.
    Degale would run circles round him. Smith (callum would probs KO him but potentially a tricky fight as CEJ moves better and more speed). Agree with whats been said above someone like Rocky Fielding/Rebrasse/Paul Smigga/ martin Murray would be a good fight and a good indicator of were he is at.

Twentyman likes this.
  2. carlingeight

carlingeight Active Member Full Member

May 15, 2016
    And fittingly, those are the fighters he should be fighting against next. Not using his cereal box belt and dad's name to jump the queue.

3. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Yeah I agree totally. Think he's deluded and for Paul Smith or Rocky Fielding fighting Eubank would be a good earner and give the winner a springboard towards bigger things. They both hit harder than him that I am sure off, be a good fight against either of them two.

4. moog

Mar 12, 2012
    Agree with you regarding opponents except for Murray as he's never looked the same to me at SMW. I disagree in CEJ moving better than Callum Smith, Callum has outstanding footwork CEJ doesn't. Might look more athletic in his movement but doesn't cut ring or or close distance with footwork as well as Callum Smith manages it.

5. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Thats who eubank should go for callum smith. We talk about eubank struggling against a good jab but at the same time these guys will struggle against eubanks style also...hes a bit of a cobra in there.

Smiths good but hes getting overrated to be talked about of knocking groves and degale out just yet. Not really proven himself against anyone of note to be regarded as highly as he is...same goes for eubank tbf. Perfect fight for both of them. Callums a bit upright...i think he ll have as much troubles with eubanks style as eubank has with his if not more.

Callums cv,s littered with guys that carry little threat. Its easy to look as good as he has especially when he usually carries all the advantages in the fights.

6. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    What are you talking about, he fought Abraham before GGG.

7. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    Sorry I've lost my mind, I could swear to God Murray fought GGG after his close losses to Abraham and Sturm. This has seriously freaked me out, I'm never wrong with stuff like that. It didn't seem that long ago when he fought GGG, this is worrying **** for me.....

Twentyman likes this.
  8. bbjc

Feb 25, 2012

Thats wierd cause i thought the exact same thing. But think we re maybe getting mixed up with paul smith fighting abraham just before murray fought golovkin. Then again on the same night in the rematch. Maybe thinking of him instead of murray.

9. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    Seriously in my head Murray fought GGG a good year after losing to Abraham, it's so real it's unbelievable.

Twentyman and bbjc like this.
  10. moog

Mar 12, 2012
    Callum Smith has beat 4 guys better than anything CEJ has beaten if I am not mistaken in Mohoumadi, Sjekloca, Rebrasse, and Fielding, and there all SMWs who would all at the very least give CEJ a real run for his money at SMW.

11. yesihavearm2

yesihavearm2 ESB Chinchecker Full Member

May 30, 2008
    Are those guys better than Spike, Chudinov and Blackwell?

12. Grooveongreg

Grooveongreg Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Think groves might struggle with jnrs work rate in champ rds. Not sure if he has the power to really tire out groves likes he does with lesser opponents

Would be a great fight

13. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Yeah Yeah well worth putting that up, but who is Sandor Micsko?

I'll tell you who, some man who John Ryder KO'd two years before Jr and now has a record of 28-12-2.

According to Boxrec Micsko is the 5th best Middleweight in Hungary, again on boxrec ranked 308th in the world.

If that was a video of Eubank Jr doing that to say.. I don't know, say Curtis Stevens I'd be posting it but it isn't is it, it's just a very average/poor middleweight.

14. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    I've cut down your post mate to focus on them two parts. Got a lot of time for you so not trying to pick you apart.

I think last Saturday was a big warning sign for Eubank Jn. That fight was just a 'dipping his toes in' bout against a very average, inexperienced SM. He was getting caught so much and he couldn't make a dent on him in the same way that he does at MW. Eubank Jn made Quinlan look a lot better than he was. Stylistically, yeah, he's impressive and can land good scoring shots, but he gets caught too much. That's ok at MW but he's going to get beat at SM by a domestic level fighter if he's not careful.

And if anyone's CV is littered with guys who carry little threat then it's Eubank Jn.

Smith has worked himself into a mandatory position and to his credit, he's willing to fight anyone. Eubank however is already getting a reputation for dodging fighters.

15. bbjc

Feb 25, 2012

Good post mate. Sometimes i type so fast i dont really fully explain my point. I think your right about eubank at super middleweight atm. quinlan did look a good bit bigger than him in ring saturday. No sure if hes just a solid super or eubanks isnt quite big enough. Or just needs time to develop into the weight.

Either way he,d need to develop to go after callum smith. Hes about 27/28 eubank decent height etc. Relies on his workrate. Fit. Looks pretty solid. Always felt his power would improve as he went up. Was actually quite disappointed with the jump up on saturday. Thought he would have looked more suited to it tbh. But maybe just needing to make a few tweaks here or there. He d need to anyway cause smith looks a massive sm.

Actually think quinlan is slightly better than his record suggests and yeah being the bigger man helped negate eubank to an extent. Would be interested to see how much weight quinlan put on between the weign in and the fight.

Regarding smith and eubank fighting guys with little threat. It is true with eubank. He has been in there with guys that carry little threat threw in with a couple that carry a bit of threat. I agree. But what i m saying with smith is....through no fault of his own...there picking guys for him that will make him look good atm. I do rate him. But these guys that have 7 and 8 ko,s wont trouble him whatsoever. Because of his considerable height and size advantage. Its not that their k/o ratio is so bad thats the problem the real problem is ...they carry no threat to callum smith...not only are they feather fisted...their slow and small usually or at least two of the three. They dont have the tools that will cause him problems because of his height/size. Rebrasse etc win there fights with boxing its not their power than wins them fights. The problem is they have no chance of outboxing smith. Who uses his height very well. The thing that will trouble smith is speed/power and angles. Hes never seen any of that yet. Its allowing him to win these fights without breaking sweat and looking great doing it. I think when you throw in guys that have these attributes you ll start to see cracks appear. He wont be as great offensively as hes been allowed to look.

Its similar to joshua the guys hes fighting are too slow to trouble him. Its allowing him to look even better than he is. Cause their no threat to him. They might be threats to other people but no threat to him. He is very good. But as soon as they put in whyte problems started to appear. And whytes not super fast himself...just faster that the snail paced guys hes been going in with.

Chris eubanks been in with guys that have low k/o ratios. But hes been in with guys his own height. Guys that have great workrates. Guys that are good counterpunchers. Guys that can box very well...bjs. a guy bigger than him in quinlan. A couple that can punch. Although the levels similar think eubanks slightly better at least hes been in with guys that have different looks. Smiths always complement him being the bigger man.

Twentyman likes this.