Would you pick anyone to stop Ali

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by BlackCloud, May 25, 2021.

1. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Well here is my opinion, the only person to stop Muhammad Ali, that was on Oct 2 1980, his name was Larry Holmes, who by the way was in his prime, Ali was way passed his. A certain poster stated that Henry Cooper floored Ali with one punch, that was on June 18 1963, before Ali won the title from Sonny Liston in 1964. And before that Ali was decked by Sonny Banks in 1962, but more importantly, Ali showed heart, he got up to win both fights. How come no one brings up Ali vs Cooper II, on May 21 1966? Is it because he won? Sour pusses are always looking for the negative. I think and believe personally that Ali from the peak years of 1964-1967 does not get knocked out by anybody, too much speed, great footwork, catlike reflexes, and no indications of Rope A Dope, his stamina was unending. Maybe there was a reason that Yank Durham did not want Joe Frazier to fight champion Muhammad Ali in 1967. If 1967 Ali had fought prime Joe Louis, he would have not made the same error that Billy Conn made in 1941. And last if you detest Ali, be man enough to say you do, do not be hiding behind a jolly green giant that it is near impossible to pronounce their names or the one hit wonder current champion that prefers snow over fighting, his nose needs it.

Fergy and JohnThomas1 like this.
  2. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    Shavers was a limited boxer, despite his alleged punching power.

Stiches Yarn likes this.
  3. White Bomber

Mar 31, 2021
    If he can land his right, he'll definitely take him out. The only question is: can he land ?! Wlad wasn't exactly fast.

4. White Bomber

Mar 31, 2021
    I've always seen this description of Shavers, as the greatest puncher. What proof is there to this, apart from some boxers's claims ?!
    Yes, Ali said Shavers hit him harder than Foreman, but then again, Foreman did not manage to land on Ali the way Shavers did.
    Personally, I think Foreman hits harder. I'd also say Lewis and Wladimir hit way harder.

fists of fury likes this.
  5. Lenny

Lenny Member Full Member

May 23, 2021
    no one. History shows he took on the biggest punchers. Was he ever even cut? Except Holmes fight....... Not a fan of Ali but the man had everything except one punch power. 50 plus fights..... took them all. Just watch that first fight with Frazier and try not to cringe

The Senator and BlackCloud like this.
  6. BlackCloud

BlackCloud I detest the daily heavyweight threads Full Member

Nov 22, 2012
    I have a few on ignore so could be anyone.

7. BUDW

BUDW Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 23, 2007
    so what he was the hardest puncher ever and he landed flush on Ali

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  8. White Bomber

Mar 31, 2021
    Shavers never followed up on the big shots he landed.
    Plus there is no proof whatsoever he was the hardest puncher. He simply put all his weight behind a punch, which IMO shows his limitations as a boxer.
    No skilled boxer does that cause if you miss it leaves you off balance and open to being countered.
    IMO guys like Foreman, Lewis, Wlad definitely hit a lot harder than Shavers. I think we could also make a compelling case for Tyson, Wilder, Tua, Briggs and Morrison as being harder hitters.

9. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    Wlad had good hand speed, especially for his size

White Bomber likes this.
  10. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    What proof is there that anyone is the best puncher?

Or the best boxer?

Or had the best jab or footwork or chin?

Believe he is or that he isn’t, but the men he hit put Shavers on a different level than the rest ... including men hit by Foreman. Ask Ali or Jimmy Young, for starters. I’ll put more stock in their opinions than yours for obvious reasons.

But you also seem to want to insist that he wasn’t even that good fo a puncher and just put his weight behind his punches ... I think you’ll find most punchers do put their weight behind their punches. It’s called technique. But if you think just anyone of Shavers’ size could hit as hard as him if they only put their weight behind their punches ... lol.

11. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    I already did: will.

12. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Liston didn't take a dive in the first fight.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  13. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    greynotsoold likes this.
  14. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Extremely.

15. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    And Liston. Ali took some flush hammers off Liston with little trouble as well.