Your favorite book about boxing

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by From.Russia, Jun 4, 2021.

1. From.Russia

From.Russia Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 15, 2013
    I got into boxing not by watching fights, but by reading a book. When I was 10, in my fathers room I discovered a book called “The last round” written by a soviet author Valeriy Steinbach. It contained a big novel “Boxing, money and pigeons”, a stereotypical story about a boy who grew up in a poor familiy without father, was short and had glasses, was mobbed by his older brother and school kids. One day some dude, who was much bigger and older, killed one of his pidgeons and boy beat the **** out of him, later he became criminal and the youngest HW Champ ever. Yeah, you already know, the story was about Mike Tyson.

The other big novel “The second coming” wasn’t stereotypical, it was about Ali who got into boxing not because he was poor and mobbed, but because somebody stole his new bike and he wanted to become strong and beat the **** out of the thief.

Thats 2 big novels, the other ones were short stories, mostly tragical:

Champion’s confession – Kid Chocolate

Darling of Paris – Al Brown Panama

Courier in the museum – **** Tiger

Tragedy in madison square garden - Ernie Schaaf

and many others about Tunney, Liston,Willie Pep, Louis, Schmelling…

So whats your favorite book about boxing? Maybe you can recommend me something, I would like to read about Thomas Hearns, about his childhood, character and so on...

2. DJN16

DJN16 Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Hands of Stone, Life and Legend of Roberto Duran - Christian Giudice

Benny - John Burrows about Scottish boxer Benny Lynch.

3. DJN16

DJN16 Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    I read Hearns biography was decent. Fighting legend, no real big stories out of the ring spring to mind.

From.Russia likes this.
  4. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Very cool, I don't have a favourite, that is impossible, but I have a similar story to you as to, partly, how I got into the fights. As a kid, sat in my grandmother's kitchen reading The Fight, by Norman Mailer, which turned out to be the best thing Mailer wrote by a mile and another mile. A great read. I still re-read it about once a decade, and I still just fly through it.

Some great books have been written by members of this forum. These are all worth picking up:

In The Ring With James J Jeffries by @apollack
    Murderers' Row by @Stonehands89
    Pugilatus by @Ted Spoon
    Live Fast, Die Young the Life and Times of Harry Greb by @klompton2
    Eder Jofre: Brazil's First Boxing World Champion by @ChrisJS

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    Sangria, Kamikaze, apollack and 4 others like this.
  5. Mike Cannon

Mike Cannon Active Member Full Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Not sure about the Author ! the book was simply called The Middleweights, bought it about 15 or so years ago, had to spend a few days in hospital so I thought it would be good company.
    My oh my, what detail, very few books have I read with sooo much ( which is what we want, don't we ) all the way from the Nonpariel to I think Hagler , as you would expect whole chapters are designated to both Kecthell and Greb and what great reading is to be found, the Greb chapter I have read at least 25 times, but all the MW champs get a good shout, I rather liked the chapter titled the Muddle weights, it was the decade of the 30s when the title was split into various bodies, fascinating reads on the lesser caliber champs so , Apostoli, Krieger, Hostak, Jones, Thil, Dundee, Risko, McVoy, honestly you will not put it down trust me. keep well.

FuryisGOAT, Kamikaze and From.Russia like this.
  6. From.Russia

Jul 15, 2013
    Wow thats really cool. I didnt know we had several writers here.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2021
    Kamikaze likes this.
  7. George forearm

George forearm The forearm of George Full Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Durans autobiography

Bill paxtons - the fearless Harry greb

Two great reads the fearless Harry greb especially, great amount of detail in it.

DJN16 likes this.
  8. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    McIlvanney On Boxing - Hugh McIlvanney. This book takes some beating. Magnificent read.

Muhammad Ali: His Life And Tmes.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  9. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Many more have been through here. Steve Marantz (Sorcery at Cesars) came on to plug his book but "couldn't believe the standard of boxing knowledge on this forum" and pretty much disappeared :lol: Harry Otty and Allen Rosenfeld who both penned books on Charley Burley were through here too. Both good guys. Do not post any more. And those are just the ones that identify themselves. Probably most don't.

greynotsoold, DJN16 and From.Russia like this.
  10. From.Russia

Jul 15, 2013
    I can understand it, but not a lot you can do about it. You either get dead forum with 10 knowledgeable members, or active forum, but with dudes making threads like “Beterbiev vs Khan, who gonna win?”

11. thistle

thistle Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I only really enjoyed "the Rochdale Thunderbolt", but as far as I'm concerned the Best Boxing Book I've ever read is Steve Blunt's "Facing Ali"

it was a collection of His Opponents thoughts, insights, reflections and feelings about fighting him... an excellent Book.

the Boxing Themed Books re Titles, or group of fighters, or period type Text books I find are more enjoyable that a lot of the Bio's many of which are just poorly written.

I had approx 100 of them.

12. Indefatigable

Indefatigable Active Member Full Member

Mar 6, 2021
    "a hell of a heck of a hook"
    "maybe only women who go through a rough childbirth"

McGrain likes this.
  13. Indefatigable

Mar 6, 2021
    "Muhammad Ali" by Thomas Hauser
    "Raging Bull"
    1. "Heavyweight Champions" by Stanley Weston
    "50 Years At Ringside" Nat Fleischer (great)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  14. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    In those days this place was very much both. Even the trolls were intimidating.

15. Indefatigable

Mar 6, 2021
    Did he find it good or bad?